Dirk Grobbelaar's Reviews > The Faded Sun: Kesrith

The Faded Sun by C.J. Cherryh

May 25, 13

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from August 30 to September 04, 2012

Okay, this novel reminded me of Dune. Kesrith, like Arrakis, is a desert planet; the burrowers are reminiscent of the Shai-Hulud (sandworms); the Mri bear more than a passing resemblance to the Fremen, or as far as their lifestyle on Kesrith is concerned. Yet, despite all this, the novel never felt like a knock off. It goes off in a whole different direction, and, being only the first chapter in the Faded Sun trilogy, can not be read as a stand-alone.

There is one other Dune comparison I can draw. Kesrith (the novel), too, is bloody magnificent. It’s been a while since I’ve been quite so swept up in a story. Yes, it’s not an action fest, and this first novel in the trilogy lays down quite a bit of back story, but it’s really atmospheric and just really good.

Cherryh’s prose is a delight. Her focus is on the story and the characters. There isn’t a lot of technobabble or gadgetry in here, which might be a let-down if that’s your thing. However, I would strongly recommend lovers of both Science Fiction and Fantasy to at least give this a try. I went into Kesrith with high expectations (the Faded Sun Trilogy seems to be universally revered) and I wasn’t disappointed. Not even a little. The two sequels are Shon'jir and Kutath. I’ll be reading them soon.

Since the individual books are out of print, look for the omnibus edition (The Faded Sun Trilogy) which boasts the same great Michael Whelan cover art as Kutath.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Faded Sun.

09/03/2012 page 126

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I think I confuse this with another series about a red sun. That's the one that has a society that lives in symbiosis with the winds, which they control telekinetically. I'm pretty sure this isn't that series.