Kevin Mann's Reviews > Saga, Vol. 1

Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

Aug 30, 2012

Read from August 30 to September 07, 2012

Hands down, my favorite current title. The first few issues i downloaded electronically and have to admit that while i was intrigued, i found the deliberate attempts @ shock, "envelope-pushing", kind of off-putting and kitzsh-ish.... i wasnt overly impressed , it just seemed "ok" and kinda "sorta there" and i was close to ducking out of it. But something told me to not give up just yet. Subliminally this series was taking hold! And then with each subsequent issue of this 1st ARC, it really grew on me and i found myself wanting more, more, more and having cravings around the time of the next issue drop, that never happens to me anymore and was totally unexpected. I love the fiona art, it doesnt get in the way and occassionally surprises in very above-average creativity. She makes this worth buying. The plot and pacing have settled into a routine that i find engaging and not too over-thought. I think the simplicity, easy to digest character backgrounds and "less is more" ethos is what lured me in. So used to the opposite with everything in modern comics. I recommend this book ARC #1 compilation if you are already predisposed to unorthodox, out-of-the-box plots, characters and art. Note- i bought the trade paperback in october2012 when it came out, in spite of having all the issues allready, i never do that!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saga, Vol. 1.