Dora Okeyo's Reviews > Turning Thirty

Turning Thirty by Mike Gayle

Aug 31, 12

Read on August 30, 2012

I love how Mike Gayle writes. Turning Thirty is the second book he's written that I loved reading. He writes as though he were simply having a conversation and the fact that his characters are just ordinary people trying to live their lives and make meaning of all of it is simply delightful.
I noted three things about Mike's writing: his characters talk about music, they hang out with friends and connect with their families and they email each other. These were common in both Turning Thirty and Dinner for Two.

But, Turning Thirty follows the life of Matt Beckford who wants to make meaning of his life as he turnes 30-and having broken up with his girlfriend Elaine, and gotten a transfer to Sydney he feels as though moving back in with his parents in Birmingham would give him time to meet his high school friends and see how they clocked thirty and what they have achieved. He also hopes to make meaning of his on-off status with Ginny-which I was disappointed didn't happen but what he did after all that is still something worth reading.

I loved this book because of how realistic it is. There is no hero or heroine- but just ordinary people living their lives and making the best of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turning Thirty.