Corey's Reviews > The Raft

Aug 31, 12

bookshelves: kindle, read-in-2012
Read on August 31, 2012

Sigh.

When I saw the premise of this novel I may have done a bit of a shimmy in excitement. Ever since reading Hatchet as a teenager, I've pretty much loved all survival type stories. At sea is even better - there was this movie-of-the-week that was a favorite of mine as a kid that was about a family that was lost at sea in Alaska and how they survived despite frostbite etc. (wish I could remember that name!). So pretty much any survival story I'm all about.

The Raft follows a teenager named Robie whom is visiting her Aunt in Hawaii and decides to head home to Midway Island on a supply jet at the last minute, she's done this many times before so it's no big deal. Unfortunately the plane crashes and she's left adrift at sea in a raft with few supplies and a barely conscious co-pilot. In the days that follow she's got to figure out how to survive and hopefully be saved despite all the sea can toss at her.

The best thing about this book is the pacing - it never really slowed down from the beginning until the end. I also did like Max's story, I wasn't expecting that ending with him at all. Everything also was pretty neatly tied up at the end although I really feel that there could have been a bit more umph to the ending.

However the writing is mediocre at best and I really wasn't cheering for Robie. I know she's written as a typical teenager but her attitude stunk most of the time and to me, there wasn't a lot endearing about her. I didn't care all that much if she lived or died, I just wanted to know what happened. I wish that I did like her more though, I think that would have made the book much better for me.

It's definitely not a book I'll tell people that they MUST read but it's ok if you're bored one afternoon.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raft.

08/31/2012
73.0% "Wasn't expecting that!"