Lexie's Reviews > Northanger Abbey

Northanger Abbey by Desiree Holt

Sep 01, 12

bookshelves: ebooks-owned-read

Here's the thing--its not a BAD book, mostly because everything I enjoyed about the book itself was (almost) word for word what Austen wrote. Holt's additions and modifications, much like the Monster/Classic mash-ups, relied on how well they meshed with the source material.

And they just didn't work.

Instead of a Catherine who is kind of naive, romantic and a dreamer we have a Catherine who judges the two men vying for her affections by how much she wants to have sex with them. Admittedly she is more sensible in regards to Thorpe--she realizes she doesn't want to be around him much quicker then in the original novel at least--but again its not due to any height of intelligence or understanding on her part. She simply doesn't want Thorpe anywhere near her (clothed or otherwise).

Her and Henry's courtship wasn't sweet, based on mutual interests and understanding. She becomes quite wanton constantly wanting to experience pleasure. Which if this book had been re-written whole cloth I think Holt would have suffered less because then it wouldn't have felt weird to have Henry acting such a gentleman (in the original text) and then doing a 180 at night to arrive in her bedroom and basically say 'I want you, you want me' with a vague nod towards affection and an even vaguer possibility of being together in the future.

Nothing seemed to align properly and for that I was sorely disappointed.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Northanger Abbey.

03/11 marked as: books-owned-read