Michlmiller's Reviews > Harris and Me

Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen

U 50x66
Aug 29, 12

Read in August, 2012

While the story was quite funny I found the writing style in this novel difficult. The "country style" of writing, in which the author meanders in stead of arriving directly at his points failed to hold my interest on several occasions. Paulsen felt the need to describe ever piece of machinery and every building on the farm, even when it was not necessary to the plot. It is not so much this habit that I found difficult to get through, but the limited vocabulary he used to do it. "This was next to this and the second this was in front of that"... Paulsen does have a very diverse and colorful vocabulary that he used during action packed plot twists in his story, and I do not understand why he did not employ this vocabulary in his descriptions. That being said, there were many points in this story that were laugh out loud funny (pretty much anything that happened when the family was in town, or any interaction with the animals). The main character was well-developed, as well as the Glennis, but I found Harris to be a relatively simple character, uneducated country bumpkin and a trouble maker. I was also disappointed in the ending. I felt that there was no real resolution for the main character. I wanted him to take charge of his life, to ask to stay on the farm, or at least some indication that he tried to go back, and none was provided. I know that the ending was more true to real life, where conflicts are not always resolved, and life does not stop being difficult just because you want it to, but the end of Harris and Me left me feeling tired and deflated.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harris and Me.