Shelby Everitt's Reviews > Where the Red Fern Grows

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Aug 29, 12

Read in August, 2012

If you are looking for a book that will take you from laughter to tears, and from disgust to adoration, all in a quick read, this is the book for you. Targeted for younger readers, "Where the Red Fern Grows" did not take me too long to read, and was very simple while I was reading it. I really liked that about it because it was very leisurely for me in contrast to other textbooks I am also reading right now. The one major criticism of the book I have is its predictability. It seemed that when something was going wrong and the main character, Billy, wanted it to go right, soon enough it would all turn out alright. I do not remember one time in the book where the outcome was different from what I predicted. It sort of took away the mystery from the story, but I had to keep in mind that for younger readers, the predictability might not have been as apparent. As I was reading the book, although I really enjoyed it, I did not understand why people claimed it to be so sad and touching. I thought it was a sweet story, but even thought to myself that if the dogs died I most likely would not have teared up. Boy was I wrong. The last ten or so pages had me tearing through my box of tissues, hoping my roommate would not come home! To conclude, I would highly recommend this book to people of all ages. It has good morals and really touches you deep down. There are many references to God, and since I know schools do not teach about religion anymore, I am not sure how this book would go over as an in-class assigned book. I personally enjoyed the religious aspects, but that is only my personal opinion. "Where the Red Fern Grows" touched my heart in a way that no book recently has.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Red Fern Grows.