Stacy's Reviews > The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls

The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand

Sep 19, 12

bookshelves: juvenile-fiction, scary
Read from September 15 to 19, 2012

Victoria is the perfect child in every way - she couldn't stand to be otherwise. Lawrence, on the other hand, is rough around the edges and much too interested in playing his piano. Victoria takes on Lawrence as a "project," seeking to improve him and becoming his friend in the process. Then one day Lawrence disappears. Victoria suspects it has something to do with the mysterious orphanage at the end of her street, run by the creepy Mrs. Cavendish and watched over by her mysterious gardener. But Victoria could never have imagined the horrors occurring behind the doors of the Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls.

I have conflicting feelings about this one. Part of me loved it, but the other part of me kept saying "oh, you've got to be kidding me" at each twist and turn, especially in the last third of the book. I loved the creepiness of the story, but sometimes it all just felt like too much. However, if Tim Burton ever gets his hands on this, I definitely wouldn't hesitate to go see the movie.

Recommended for the 5th or 6th grader looking for something scary but not quite ready for teen themes. Also must be okay with torture and cannibalism...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls.