Anna-Kathrin's Reviews > Selected Tales

Selected Tales by Edgar Allan Poe

E.A. Poe is for me, personally, one of the best writers of all times.
I love all of his work, it's perfect to me.

While this collection does of course not have all of his work, it features the most well known stories and is a good start for everyone who wants to get to know Poe's haunting tales.

But honestly:
If you love dark and morbid stories, get everything by him!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Selected Tales.

01/11 marked as: read

message 1: by Tristram (new)

Tristram Yepp, and you may well add that Poe's poems are on a par with his stories, especially something like The Conqueror Worm.

message 2: by Tristram (new)

Tristram Which brings me on to a recommandation: If you liked Poe, you might also fancy Bierce's horror stories, although Bierce is not by half as romantic and gothic-like as Poe. However, Bierce's bitter sarcasm never fails to appeal to me.

Anna-Kathrin Oh, thanks for the recommendation! I have never read anything by Bierce, but I'll definitely check his work out if I get the chance. I like sarcasm, so his books should appeal to me. :)

message 4: by Tristram (new)

Tristram Anna-Kathrin wrote: "Oh, thanks for the recommendation! I have never read anything by Bierce, but I'll definitely check his work out if I get the chance. I like sarcasm, so his books should appeal to me. :)"

Bierce's sarcasm is best illustrated in his "Devil's Dictionary", which has been one of the books on my bedside table for years. If you want to get a good taste of Bierce, I'd recommend you a story like "The Boarded Window". It's quite different in tone from Poe, though.