Page (One Book At A Time)'s Reviews > Chantress

Chantress by Amy Butler Greenfield

May 10, 14

bookshelves: read-in-2013
Read from April 27 to May 01, 2013

The cover called me on this one. Once I read the description and realized it had that blend of historical fiction and fantasy/paranormal, I was sold. It was a little slow in places, but overall it was an enjoyable read.

It must be frustrating to be Lucy. The past 7 years have been spent on a deserted island with no real explanation as to what is going on. Her mother is gone and she's not allowed to sing. At first this little fact really through me. I could not figure out what it was about signing that was so bad. I really thought it was some type of sinful thing and so it was forbidden. Turns out, when Lucy sings, she harnesses energy for the world around her and can do magic. She's the only one left with this ability. It doesn't take long for people to track her down and want to use her powers to take down the person in control of the country. He's hunted down every last one of her kind and had them killed. Accept for one...she's just been stripped of all her magic.

This one person is actually her godmother, and she seems completely uncaring. She feels she's the best person to help Lucy realize her full potential. The only problem is her lessons must be done were the watchful eyes of the Lord Protector can't find her. So she's taken deep unground with a women who does nothing but criticize everything she does. She can't hold the right tune, she sings without the right emotions, not long enough, too short. I found her constant belittling rather annoying. I often thought she was insanely jealous of Lucy because she still possessed the talent.

My high points were the magic itself and Lucy's relationship with Nat. The magic really was interesting. It had factors to it that made it more complex. There was ordinary magic and wild magic and the consequences were completely different. But, I felt that wild magic was poorly understood and therefore deemed to risky to undertake. I think I liked the romantic relationship with Nat because I wasn't ever sure it was actually going to happen. Nat seemed to uneasy when it came to Lucy's magic that I wasn't sure it would be something he could look past. Especially knowing it was something she could never leave behind.

The story dragged out in the middle. I felt we spend a lot of time underground while she was training, although during this time we learn a lot of history about the Chantress and the country itself. I also felt the ending was abrupt. It felt to easy. It also make me wonder were the story can go next. I'm sure I'll read the next one though because I want to know what is in store for Lucy. Plus, I like to combination of historical fiction and fantasy/paranormal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chantress.

04/27/2013 marked as: currently-reading