✿Alyssa✿'s Reviews > Seduction and Snacks

bookshelves: favorites, 5-star
Recommended for: EVERYONE!
Read from September 10 to 14, 2012

This review was posted at My Secret Romance

To sum it up: Claire is a twenty-something, single mom that grudgingly helps her best friend sell sex toys while she attempts to make enough money to start her own business to give her foul-mouthed, but extremely loveable (when he's asleep) toddler a better life.

When Carter, the one-night-stand from her past that changed her life forever, shows up in her hometown bar without any recollection of her besides her unique chocolate scent, Claire will make it a point that he remembers her this time.

With Carter's undisguised shock at suddenly finding out he has a four-year-old son and Claire's panic that her stretch marks and slim to none bedroom experience will send the man of her dreams heading for the hills, the pair will do whatever they can to get their happily ever after...

Funniest.
Book.
Ever.

That isn’t an understatement- I can’t even count the number of times I just completely busted out laughing while reading Seduction and Snacks. Whether it be while I was reading my kindle and soaking in the tub… lying in bed and only reading “one more chapter”… Or while I was sneaking a few pages here and there on my iPhone at work when management wasn’t around. It didn’t matter where I was at the time or how much embarrassment came from my unflattering snorts and laughs- They just didn’t stop from the first page to the last.

And Hallelujah! I can’t believe the day has finally come where I officially added a humorous book to my “favorites” shelf!

That’s right, you heard me… I’m well aware of the fact that I’m probably the only avid romance reader on the face of this earth who avoids humorous chick-flick novels like the plague. The second I read the words ”light” and ”funny” affiliated with any book review, I run for the hills… and then add that book to my “I’d-Rather-Poke-My-Eyes-Out-Walk-Through-Fire-And-Sell-My-Kid-Before-Ever-Reading-This-Book” list. So I’m sure you can see that it took a lot for me to convince myself to even contemplate reading this book… Until I started seeing my GR news-feed flooded with rants and ravings about how amazingly funny this story was… And then I found out it was on sale for $2.99 on Amazon… Which I took as a sign to buy it, of course.

And.
I.
Hit.
The.
Freaking.
Jackpot.
People.

I can see where this book can come off as very crude and offensive to a lot of readers out there- but either I’m one sarcastic and insensitive sociopath that you’d probably never want your kids around… Or I just have a disgusting sense of humor… Or both… Whatever the reason, all I can say is that I freaking LOVED every single vulgar and inappropriate thing that came out of these characters mouths.

Claire was a freaking trip, and probably a favorite heroine of mine to this day- The second she told us readers that she was never going to have children, I decided that we were BFF’s for life. After all, my name is: Alyssa E. Neverhavingkids. (Watch me wake up seven months pregnant tomorrow.) Anyway, I’m getting off track here… so Claire has one snarky sense of humor! She holds nothing back, and deep down we may as well all admit that she’s the sarcastic she-devil we all have living inside us… but where-as we woman like to keep it classy… Well... Ms. Claire-Just-Doesn’t-Care. She’s so real which is one reason why I love her and can relate to her so much.

Carter on the other hand… Be right back… *swooning* …He may be a little more on the reserved side, but it’s one reason why him and Claire are so perfect for each other- They just balanced each other out and meshed so well. And Lord have mercy, the man was so sweet. He accepted being a father like a champ, without us readers having to read page after page of the endless battle I like to call “The Blame Game.” He definitely had his work cut out for him- Especially when it came to Claire’s father. The interactions between those two were down-right hilarious!

"My father walked over to us and looked Carter up and down. 'You got any tattoos, son?’ Carter looked at me in confusion and I just shrugged my shoulders. You never knew what was going to come out of my dad's mouth. 'Uh, no. No, sir, I do not,’ Carter replied. 'You own a bike?’ ‘...Well, I have a pretty nice mountain bike that's still in storage because I just haven't had time to take it out for a…’ 'Motorcycle, Cathy,’ my father interrupted with a sigh of annoyance. 'Do you own a motorcycle?’ Carter shook his head, 'No, and my name is Cart-‘ '...You ever been arrested or get in a bar fight?’ my dad interrupted. 'No, I've never been arrested or gotten into any kind of fight, Mr. Morgan,’ Carter said with a confident smile. My dad leaned over towards me. 'Claire, are you sure this kid isn't gay?’”

Robert De Niro and Ben Stiller definitely reminded me of the relationship that Carter and Claire’s dad had. The whole two-finger eye-point thing that Claire’s dad never failed to do when Carter was around, cracked me up every time!

…And dare I say it? But Claire’s son Gavin made this story- The boy was a walking parrot who repeated any and everything vulgar and crude that came out of someone’s mouth- I like to call him the son of Satan… AKA: The Devil’s Spawn. (And that’s putting it nicely…) He’s the type of kid that you run and hide from in fear of being punched in the boobs or private parts and being called a “Fat Vagina” in the middle of the grocery store because you wouldn’t buy him his favorite flavored pop-tarts. He freaking cracked me up- I can understand how he may come across as annoying to some people out there... But lets face it: He's a kid. They're annoying.

*sigh* ...Brilliant. This book was ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT.

Any book that can make you laugh so hard that you actually cry (and make it to my “favorites” shelf) takes talent, if I must say so myself- These loveable cast of characters will suck you in from beginning to end. Tara Sivec is officially a new favorite author of mine- The woman is pure genius and has a way with words that left me completely in awe… And insanely jealous that I couldn’t have been the one blessed with her sense of humor and gift of writing. Seduction and Snacks was such a refreshing change from all of the dark and angsty novels that I’m used to reading on a daily basis. I can’t wait to read more in Futures and Frosting!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seduction and Snacks.

09/10/2012
8.0% "...After reading two really dark stories, I decided to try something light and funny next! And so far, I'm LOVING this book! :)" 5 comments
09/11/2012
43.0% "...HA, this book cracks me up! :)" 5 comments
09/13/2012
68.0% "Gavin freaking cracks me up! :)" 7 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara YOU are liking this?? I have to read it then! Lol

Lindsay OMG! It made the "Favorites" shelf!!!! I think I just died of shock! ;)

I'm glad you loved it. :D

✿Alyssa✿ Sara- I LOVED this book! It was the funniest book on the face of this earth!

Lindsay Fantastic review Alyssa. I think I laughed as much while reading your review as I did reading the book!

Lindsay ♥Alyssa♥ wrote: "Linds- I knew you'd die when you saw that this book made it to my "favorites" shelf!"

Yes, I definitely died when I saw that. I'm happy you loved it though. :D

✿Alyssa✿ LOL- Thanks so much Lindsay! The book brought out the humor in me while writing this review :)

Kellie G. Wonderful & hilarious review!! I loved this book too!!

message 8: by Lindsay (last edited Sep 14, 2012 08:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lindsay ♥Alyssa♥ wrote: "LOL- Thanks so much Lindsay! The book brought out the humor in me while writing this review :)"

Now we just need to find another funny book you'll love!

message 9: by ✿Alyssa✿ (last edited Sep 14, 2012 08:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

✿Alyssa✿ Thanks so much Kellie! I'm so glad you loved it as much as I did! :)

Lindsay... I don't know if any book will be able to top the funniness in S&S! (Except for book two, hehe!)

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Great review Alyssa!

message 11: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Love your review Alyssa, such a fantastic book!! If you're looking for something else funny, you should check out the Redhead books - The Unidentified Redhead.

✿Alyssa✿ Thanks so much Lisa!

And AJ- thank you so much! I'm definitely going to check out those books! They've been recommended to me, but I've avoided them since I typically hate light and humorous reads! Now that I've read S&S though, I'm definitely going to read more funny books, and I'll start with The Unidentified Redhead! :)

message 13: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Awesome! Hope you enjoy it, Grace and Jack are so freaking funny!

✿Alyssa✿ YAY!!! I may have to read it next :)

message 15: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Jack is awesome by the way :)

✿Alyssa✿ *sigh* ...I already love him and I haven't even read the book yet, hehe.

♡Karlyn P♡ Nice review Alyssa!! I just borrowed this, hope to get to it next week. I have no idea if it will be my thing, but my couriuosity is totally peaked!!!

✿Alyssa✿ Thanks girlfriend! Oh my gosh, I LOVED this book! I didn't know if the book was going to be my thing either, but it definitely was! (I'm a sucker for crude and vulgar sarcasm though!)

♡Karlyn P♡ ♥Alyssa♥ wrote: "I'm a sucker for crude and vulgar sarcasm though"

Lol, me too. Fingers crossed :-)

message 20: by Auntee (last edited Sep 15, 2012 07:25PM) (new) - added it

Auntee Wowwwwww. You sold me!:)

✿Alyssa✿ Auntee, I hope you end up LOVING this one like I did! :)

message 22: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Just downloaded a sample...:)

✿Alyssa✿ YAY!!!! Definitely keep me posted Auntee!!!!

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee Fab review Alyssa! ☺

✿Alyssa✿ Thanks so much Dee! =)

MelissaB Great review Alyssa! This was funny but the best funny books I have read are the Pride series books by Shelly Laurenston.

✿Alyssa✿ Thanks so much Melissa! Ohhhh, I'll have to check that series out! :)

Lorelle This book was so good, I've asked my husband if I could read him a chapter a night. Since I got no response, he is gonna hear me laugh like a lunatic as I read it aloud to tonight! I just down loaded the sequel! YEYYYYY!

✿Alyssa✿ I can't wait to read the sequel too Lorelle! I can't recommend this book to anyone enough- it was absolutely fabulous and I couldn't stop cracking up laughing :)

MelissaB I hope the sequel is just as funny!

✿Alyssa✿ Me too! I plan to read it soon! :)

Shari I freakin LOVE this book!

✿Alyssa✿ Shari- Meee tooo! It was uhhhmaazing! :-)

Beverly i love the chocolates series, it's on my favorite books of all time, i was just laughing the whole time im reading this

✿Alyssa✿ LOL- I love them too Beverly! ...Although, I haven't read Troubles and Treats yet. I need to get on it!

Shari I was reading it in bed last night and i was trying not to laugh out loud. My husband turned over and asked me if i was having a siezure! Lol!

✿Alyssa✿ LOL- That's hilarious Shari!!! I love when something makes me laugh- It's very rare a book does that for me but this one didn't disappoint!