Stephanie's Reviews > Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond

Harper Collins/Harper Voyager
On Sale: 10/9/2012
Hardcover; Pages: 528; E-Book; Audio
18 and Up
E-Proof provided by publisher via Edelweiss. E-Proof will expire. No Remuneration was exchanged and all opinions herein are my own unless stated otherwise.

Wow.
Kim Harrison dedicates INTO THE WOODS to her readers. It's a lovely gesture and is truly a gift, a tribute, an honor because the stories are excellent and show us more about her characters, her process and indeed more about Kim herself. There are surprises, for example, Ceridwen is described in a way I cannot imagine her being, really. We get a lot more information about peripheral and focus characters, including a peek into Jenks' relationship with his wife, Matalina. And, we meet characters we probably haven't before. Some of the stories are scary; some are bittersweet. All are well-written.

As always, Harrison's writing raises the bar for the genre. One story, in particular, Temson Estates, is particularly evocative and describes well those fleeting experiences one wishes one could relate. That's what most art is about: "I saw this and I want you to see it too." I think this quote from page 350 shows what I mean:

She was a black, frog-rimmed pool smelling of loam and wind, the hushed still point of winter and the quiet growth of summer. Brown as rhhe earth, just as fragile, just as enduring. Eyes like the bottoms of cluds before a summer storm. Innocence, feral innocence. But wise beyond knowing what wisdom was. (Kim Harrison, INTO THE WOODS, p. 350)

We also receive the gift of spending more time with the characters we know through THE HOLLOWS series, Trent, Jenks, a younger Ivy, Kisten, and a young Rachel. Time spent with these amazing people is never wasted.

This is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED as a series if you haven't yet read it. If you have read the series this is a fantastic collection of stories and an ABSOLUTE MUST READ.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Woods.