Booklover, Indianapolis's Reviews > The Brothers Bishop

F 50x66
Aug 31, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, non-romance
Read from August 29 to 31, 2012

(August) This was not a happy book. In fact, I'm not sure there was really a likeable character in this book - everyone was depressed, or depressing. Lots of tears flowed down their faces, lots of anger. Yet...I liked it a lot. I really enjoyed the writing, even though the reader could see disaster looming from the set up pretty much from the get-go. It ended the only way it could. I think the whole archeological dig (and charcters) could have been left out - the characters were pointless (even the one who **spolier** had an affair w/Nathan's dad). Yes, I assume it was supposed to be symbolic - digging into the past, etc. - but still unnecessary and I thought it dragged things down a bit. One thing that always annoys me is when you have a horribly abusive parent - in this case, the dead dad - and then you hear from Dad's friend how he knew dad wasn't the best to the boys, Dad was lost after mom died, etc., but he loved the boys in his own way, the best he could - really? Either he's as horrible as the dad because he knew how physically, mentally, verbally and emotionally abusive Dad was to the boys and did nothing - or he needs to know the truth so he can be as disgusted w/Dad and horrified w/himself for being an ostrich w/his head in the sand and ignoring the fact that these boys had a pretty horrible childhood. In my world, bad, abusive, mean parents = no forgiveness. But anyway...there were some major themes here and I think Yates did a good job w/them. I would recommend, and will look for other books by him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brothers Bishop.

08/29/2012 page 21
7.0% "So true..."I've been told on more than one occasion that I should stop reading so much and actually have a life, but do you know what I've figured out? People in books are much more interesting than the people who've told me that.""