Kay's Reviews > We Die Alone: A WWII Epic of Escape and Endurance

We Die Alone by David Howarth

Oct 27, 14

bookshelves: world_war_ii, harrowing-tales, norway, nonfiction, polar-regions
Read in November, 2006

Anything with endurance in the title gets my attention, especially when it's a tale of survival. Add that to the fact that I was planning a winter trip to Norway, and this was the perfect winter read.

The tale begins 1943, in Nazi-occupied Norway, with a group of young men of the Norwegian resistance planning a mission to attack of German air base. The mission comes to a bad end, and three of the resistance fighters are killed, leaving the central character, Jan Baalsrud, injured and fleeing the Nazis. The ordeal he endures as he ultimately escapes -- almost unbelievable at times, but convincingly documented -- is a harrowing tale of survival in brutal elements. I gained a real sense of the unforgiving landscape of Norway by reading this book.

We Die Alone is also a tale of another kind of heroism, for Jan is aided by villagers who risked everything to help him. Still, for much of the book, Jan is alone, and it made clear that it is only his incredible will that keeps him alive.

This is an absorbing read, and I finished the book in almost one sitting. Why read fictional thrillers when there are true accounts as amazing and inspiring as this?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Die Alone.