Stacy's Reviews > Austentatious

Austentatious by Alyssa Goodnight

Aug 29, 12

Read in December, 2011

What a lovely romp of a read!!! I easily devoured it in one sitting – laughing and smiling.

I absolutely adore this Jane Austen-esque book. It is full of wit, comedy, magical journaling and utterly cute and ahhh worthy romance. Goodnight has done an excellent job capturing the essence of Jane Austen and her characters – creating a modern world for them to live. While there aren’t direct correlations to Austen characters (well, except for Nicola and Sean), there are plenty of references to them for Jane Austen fans to devour.

Nicola, our dear Lizzy Bennet, is a definite kindred spirit character. The reader can’t help but to smile at her sensibility and her simple, but realistic and very safe life plan. And then we smile even more when whimsy and magic interfere and she is reluctaly nudged into a whirlwind romance. Her wit and comedy are on par with her Austen escapade.

Sean is the swoon worthy Mr. Darcy. He is (borrowing from the book) ‘the perfect mix of charming and presumptuous.’ Not only is he the sexy rocker, he’s also thoughtful, has an adventurous spirit and (this is the biggest) he has an accent. He is modern Mr. Darcy through and through, without the stubborn pride! His romance with Nicola is every girls dream.

The side characters are a big highlight to the story; my favorites are Nicola’s neighbors, Leslie, and her partner Laura. Where one is snarky and pulls no punches the other is sweet. The story would not be the same with out them. They add sizzle, spice and laughs.

Favorite scenes: The infamous ‘mushroom extraction,’ Leslie and Laura’s Friday night karaoke parties, and Nicola’s attempt at karaoke and the aftermath.

If you’re a fan of Jane Austen modern re-telling’s, then this is a MUST read!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Austentatious.