Laura's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Nov 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-mt-bookpile, old-reads
Read in November, 2012

I really don't understand what the cover has to do with the book itself - there's nothing about water, and Our Heroine is part-Indian (albeit with light skin) which makes it appear that the designer wanted to keep the ethnicity hidden by chopping off the head.

As for the book itself, my first impression is BLOAT. There was no excuse for 500 pages! A far more tightly written 300 would have made for a far better book, IMVHO. Also, the opening note, where "Mara Dyer" confesses that she comes with a body count ruins the suspense factor. What I mean is, when I read that and then soon after read that she's been in a coma following the building collapse that killed Rachel, Claire and Jude, my thoughts aren't "what happened" but more "how did she do it and why".

Is there a possible love triangle between Mara, Jamie and Noah? Why is Mom so overly protective (when, as a psychiatrist, she'd know that was the wrong tack to take)? What is actually going on with Mara? Because of the padding, it takes forever to get those questions answered - and don't get me started on the abrupt, toss-the-reader-off-the-cliffhanger ending! Had there been editing, this would easily have been a 4-star or higher.

Oh: LOVE Joseph. LOVE.

Copy provided by publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

message 1: by jo (last edited Nov 03, 2012 07:08AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

jo mo i thought the setting and tone of the book to be the best things of the book. other than that: ugh. and then the typical asshat-hero trope! why? why? why? he is a fucking jerk who needs a good slap or two. why these kinda boys are appealing ... i cannot even begin to understand. which reminds me of the characterization or lack thereof (snort).

oh! she's part indian? (view spoiler) totally forgot about that probably because the author did not emphasize or deem it important.