Melissa's Reviews > Some Assembly Required: A Journal of My Son's First Son

Some Assembly Required by Anne Lamott

Nov 20, 14

bookshelves: ladies-writin
Read in August, 2012

This book does a lovely job highlighting the dazzling selfishness of grandparents, god love them. This is a phenomenon that I've had ample opportunity to witness firsthand since the birth of my kid. In Lamott's case, she may have slightly more reason to be overbearing since her son was 19 when his kid Jax was born, but that still doesn't entirely excuse her. She has an extremely hard time letting the child's parents, otherwise known as not her, call the shots. At times it gets painful to read about what a control freak she can be regarding her grandson. I'd like Amy, Jax's mom, to write a book with her side of things, although I guess it would basically read, "Today Annie tried to tell me what to do about Jax, again."

I love my in-laws to death & that's given me the wherewithal to step back & try to see things from their perspective, even when they're driving me nuts. It's got to be supremely difficult for the parent of an adult to see a baby born & realise that this new person has very little to do with them and everything to do with its actual parents. Grandparents want to meddle & tell you what to do because they see this new little person & they feel like life is passing them by. They've been the Mom or Dad for so long, it's hard for them to see that there's a new Mom or Dad in town, and although these new parents may not feel like it at the time, they are the experts on this baby. After G was born, I was running on nothing but instinct and hormones & I felt more like an animal than a person, so woe betide anyone who tried to boss me in regards to that baby (but that's just me). But I get this & I fully expect to have a problem with meddling when and if my kid makes me a grandma. Personal perspective aside, this is an okay book with some repetitive insights about spirituality & religion, babies, & all that circle of life stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Assembly Required.