Jeanette's Reviews > 12.21

12.21 by Dustin Thomason

Aug 29, 2012

A Da Vinci Code like adventure about the Mayan Calender and the last days of the world. The intelligence factor of this novel was incredible. The author definitely did his homework and managed to accurately detail many aspects of Mayan culture and modern day medicine. But he was still able to create ingeniously the fictional elements that not only make a novel more entertaining, but also remind us that no matter what historians and scientists can "prove," there is always so much we don't know, so many other possibilities, and another realm (whether it be Heaven or the Mayan sleep-like nirvana with the Gods) that has the power trump just about anything we hold as fact, even if we are unwilling to give the credit where it is due. The end of the world(in this novel, happening in December 2012) was completely scientific and unrelated to anything mythical or astrological and yet, it was STILL happening on the dates foretold. Everything apocalyptic was occurring sans miracle.... yet there it was. The irony could go in circles forever. Though the author's fictional additions were apologetically and candidly imaginative, I wonder how possible it could have been for what he depicted to have happened that way. Thanks to this novel, I will always wonder what REALLY happened and, now, what will happen in the future. (That is the future in general. I do think I will still be here on Dec. 22, 2012. But we shall see.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 12.21.