Allison's Reviews > Jackaroo

Jackaroo by Cynthia Voigt

Dec 17, 2008

bookshelves: ya-teen, fantasy, historical-fiction, strong-female-lead
Read in December, 2008

I loved this book! It features a female character who decides to take matters into her own hands, and to do so she is forced to break with her society's traditions for and expectations of women. I would recommend this book for anyone, but it would be a great read for all young women figuring out who they are and their place in society.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jackaroo.

Sarah yes. i was very into these for awhile, especially On Fortune's Wheel. I haven't read that one for awhile, but i reread Jackaroo recently and upon reflection, Cynthia Voigt is something of a downer. but still good.

i think you'll like Sorcery & Cecelia. I was OBSESSED with it in high school. also have you read The Thief by Megan(?) Turner? I sort of group that series with this CVoigt series.

Allison I was wondering if the following Kingdom books were any good, and now it sounds like I need to read On Fortue's Wheel! I agree that Voigt is a bit of a downer. It was a really serious book for a YA book. But I thought Gwyn was a good alternative to the Alanna character, a strong female protagonist who is driven to cross dressing, and I liked that her trials and tribulations were so serious, so weighty, if that makes sense.

I just found out about Socery & Cecelia. How did you know about all these good books in high school?! I haven't read The Thief, but I've heard of it as grouped with the V books too.

I was at the library for a little bit the other day and read the first few chapters of The Folk Keeper. Have you read it? It was pretty good so far, I thought.

Oh, and, I bought that Predators pop-up book for my cousin's 4 boys. It's so awesome, they'll like it so much :) Just wanted to share.

Sarah i don't think i read the falcon one or the one after it though. i think my friend said the falcon was fairly dark. i don't know if that meant darker than the other ones or just dark. now the question is, what genre would you put these books in? traditionally i always thought Fantasy. but actually i dont think there's an magical stuff in them anywhere. can a book that's set in a semi-medieval society without magic qualify as fantasy? it's certainly not historical fiction. but it's not realistic fiction either. hmmm....

i think i found sorcery & cecelia in the library actually. it (and college of magics) was out of print for a LONG time and then they reissued it in 2005ish and i was SO excited. there's 2 sequels to s&c but i dont remember being as impressed by them. you'd probably like college of magics too. i think it's probably better but i havent read either of them for a while. the copy of College of Magics i found at the library had this GORGEOUS cover illustration of this amazing cathedral/castle on a big rock in the middle of the ocean. (basically the book is set on Mont St Michele, althoguh its never directly stated). now the cover just has this dopey looking cartoon girl on the front who looks like she's about 8. Awesome choice, MPS.

i did read the folk keeper. i think i liked it pretty well. or maybe i liked her other book better. i'm not sure. i read all these when i was working at the kids bookstore and sometimes they get a little mixed up in my head.

the predators book is AWESOME. have you seen the Strega Nona pop up? i think it's way better than that cartoony Peter Pan that's supposed to be so big deal.

Allison I started On Fortune's Wheel the other day. it's pretty dark too. They just got rescued from the island, and you're supposed to think that the pirates saved them just so they can have their way with Birle. It's funny because it's almost like Voigt was disappointed that there was so much age different between Gwynn and that lordling in Jackaroo (the one who teaches her how to read) that she couldn't turn their relationship into a romance. It's almost like Birle and Orien's relationship is rworking that earlier girl-of-the-people-meets-lordling romance.

I haven't taken a long look at the Strega Nona pop up, but it looks awesome. I'd definitely rather have that than yet another Peter Pan paraphanalia.

Although, have you ever read the Peter Pan play? It's much darker and disturbed than I thought it would be. Ooo, it'll give you the shivers in parts of it.