Candace's Reviews > The Crown of Embers

The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson

Sep 19, 12

Read on August 29, 2012

The Girl of Fire and Thorns was one of my all time favorites last year and I was more then excited to get the opportunity to review The Crown of Embers. Sometimes going into a second book can leave you a bit disappointed though, especially when the first was so epic. Fortunately The Crown of Embers did not disappoint!

This book was hard for me to put down, and for a fantasy that really means something. Sometimes they are such heavy reading because of the crazy court intrigue and the in depth world, etc. But The Crown of Embers had everything I want in a fantasy without becoming a heavy read.

First of all, I didn't think Elisa could grow anymore as a character, but somehow she did! She starts out with a strong voice in this one and definitely didn't seem like a 17 year old to me. But she still manages to find growth in the book. She's a very strong character (incredibly strong!) but still has some weaknesses. She's unsure of things, but she really starts on a new journey in this book.

There is plenty of court intrigue in the book, but it wasn't ever annoying to me. Oh yes, there are infuriating characters, but that was good, they needed to be there to get us good and riled up. There's also lots of life and death hanging in the balance. Rae Carson isn't afraid to let bad things happen in her books, but I think that's important in fantasy, that's what gets us so emotionally involved in it. And it was this intense feeling that never went away through the entire book.

The romance in this book was exactly perfect. It wasn't instant love in any way. It was a slow burn romance that has you just aching for them to speak their mind and find their way to each other. As Lori at Pure Imagination said in her review, it leaves you with a goofy grin on your face.

And the end of the book will have you crying for more. Sometimes cliffhangers make me angry and frustrated. Other times I'm DYING for more but yet I know that it's the perfect end even though I may not survive until the next book, and this was that. It was the perfect ending even if I may pull all my hair out before the next one comes out.

Epically AMAZING. These books are MUST READS.

You can find this review and others like it on my blog at http://www.candacesbookblog.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crown of Embers.