Lara's Reviews > Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner

Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes

Sep 02, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, biography-autobiography-memoir, audiobooks, read-in-2012, antarctica
Read from August 29 to September 02, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I enjoyed this one a lot to start with--I have nowhere near the sort of dedication and drive it takes to do something like this (or any dedication or drive whatsoever), but I am really drawn to stories of people who do. And I thought the way Karnazes talked about his early life was interesting and entertaining, and I found him pretty likable. The description of the Western State 100 was fantastic, and I also enjoyed his description of the Badwater Ultramarathon (it was actually kind of nice to see him not finish a race for once). But then we get to the second half of the book and he really started to get on my nerves. The chapter about the Antarctica Marathon had me laughing out loud at how unprepared and whiny and ridiculous he and his buddies sounded, and I wondered if they had done any research at all before heading there to make the attempt. And everything past that part seemed tinged with a little too much braggery and self-congratulation and false humility for my liking. Plus there's the tampon joke--ahahahaha, asshole. Still, the first half of the book is excellent. Anyway, I certainly admire what Karnazes is able to do, but I'm really not interested in reading anything else he's written about himself.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultramarathon Man.