Julia's Reviews > Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami

Dec 18, 2008

bookshelves: magical-realism, my-top-ten
Recommended to Julia by: my daughter
Recommended for: literature lovers
Read in January, 2002 , read count: 3

** spoiler alert ** Murakami is one of my top 10 authors, and this is my favorite book by him. He's part of the magical realism world, with the emphasis in this book on the "magical". The story alternates chapters that have 3 word titles (the "real" world) with those having 1 word titles (the world of the protagonist's core consciousness). The "man" is never named, but has been part of an experiment in the "real" world where he can "shuffle" data (sort of like Keanu Reeves in "Johnny Mnemonic"). However, he gets trapped in the "Town", a construct of his core consciousness. And what a Town it is! Beasts with golden fur, unicorn skulls that "sing", a Gatekeeper that removes the man's shadow. The story is woven so seamlessly that I really didn't want the book to end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

message 1: by Patty (new) - added it

Patty My daughter, Julianna, has read most of Murakami but not this one. She and my husband are into science fiction which I find hard to read unless it is really good. They usually talk about a book as they are reading it and then I will give it a try. This Murakari sounds great and I have been wanting to read him. Did you get this from our library?

Julia I've actually owned about 4 copies of this book and kept giving it to people! I got my present copy a few months ago. Murakami's KAFKA ON THE SHORE was voted one of the top 10 books of 2007 by the NY Times, but I still favor HARDBOILED WONDERLAND--even the title is intriguing :-) And I LOVE that your daughter spells her name the way I always wanted mine spelled, only I'm Julia Anne.