Avigail's Reviews > Eat, Pray, Love

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Sep 17, 10

bookshelves: italy, memoirs, non-fiction, india, bali, charachters-that-travel-all-over-th, travel
Read from July 15 to September 13, 2010

I think part of why this book is so popular is that it draws out such strong feelings in people. Readers feel jealous of Elizabeth's ability to travel. They feel upset that Elizabeth "wastes" a year traveling without feeling "guilty" about not volunteering at a nursing home instead. They feel annoyed that Elizabeth's personal memoir talks about her personal feelings rather than writing a social treatise on poverty in the slums of India (which she wasn't near). They feel morally upset that she left her marriage without laying out in explicit detail for public review why the marriage failed. They feel an ovarian outrage against any female would not actively leap at the chance to bear children. They feel religious fervor at anybody who would approach the worship of God without going specifically through a priest and Jesus Christ. Whatever was the trigger for someone, I think that trigger is an important idea to meditate on - because there are MANY people who feel the way that created that trigger. To be able to try to understand them in this no-holds-barred book is incredibly valuable. If your decision is to just close the book and turn your back, that is the attitude that causes cultures to still clash all over the world. How much better if we could really learn to understand each other, forgive each others' mistakes, accept that we all have different views and at least get some small sense of where people are coming from.
Her description of Italians and their love affair with food and life is delicious. I laughed out loud at her description of all her efforts to overcome her depression. I could so identify with her analogy of depression and lonliness crawling in bed with her, old friends. I was a little disappointed in the "South Pacific"
ending. It left me wondering what was going to happen to her when she returns to "real life".
Well I saw the movie and realy likes it to. There are things that are different but you get the point. I loved the part that she is in Italy and the way that she eats there. I wish I was in Italy eating the things that she was eating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, Pray, Love.