Neil's Reviews > Boneland

Boneland by Alan Garner

Sep 07, 2012

Read from August 31 to September 02, 2012

I've finished, I'm still in a state of shock. An astonishing book every bit as beautiful and many layered as Thursbitch this is what Garner has become and although this book has been sold as the third part in the Weirdstone trilogy, it has more in common with those awe inspiring later works than the earlier pieces. Suggesting if you have read the two earlier books you will understand this is not the way this should have been sold, those that only love the ripping adventure of the earlier books but can't face or ignore, as seemingly many do, Garner's later works will probably not "get" this and I can see why the book has received so many negative reviews, although it is sad to see that many of his readers have not grown and matured over the years since Brisingamen and Gomrath as the author has done.
Much of the book is dialogue between the Colin of the earlier works now grown-up, who has become an astrophysicist at Jodrell Bank and his mysterious psychiatrist Meg. Colin has to unlock just what has happened to him in the past that made him forget his childhood and to understand what has happened to his sister and what he has now become, against which Garner has layered a story of a stone age shaman in much the same manner as the split time-lines in Red Shift and Thursbitch. Much of the Shaman's story is difficult to say the least and I believe will repay repeated re-readings and I feel I did not understand the ending as much as I would like, but this is undoubtedly a masterpiece, Garner is truly a unique talent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boneland.