Lynne Spreen's Reviews > Mortality

Mortality by Christopher Hitchens

Aug 29, 12

Read in August, 2012

I didn't agree with him on everything. Hell, I couldn't keep UP with him on everything. He was smarter than me by far, but I admired his wit, his ability, and his courage. Hitch didn't care if by being friends with Salmon Rushdie he may have earned a fatwa's curse of his own, and he didn't care if by dissing the religious extremists in this country, he'd earn the Christians' pronouncements of satisfaction at the "righteousness" of the cancer he died from. He was so brave and so smart, and in the end so sadly human. I wish his family and friends peace.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mortality.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Christopher was one of the four horesman. You can find them on utube. Sam Harrish, Richard Dawkins, Danniel Dennett, and Hitchens. They filmed several videos with brilliant discussions on religion. Hitchens loved to tour and solicited debate.I was totally amazed at the range of literate facts Hitch could recall instantly and the wide range of his knowledge. They profess atheism and all four of them are extremely moral individuals attempting to benefit mankind. Great review
JIm

Lynne Spreen Like you said, all four of them are extremely moral, and being an atheist doesn't preclude that. In his book, Hitchens relates accounts of Christian leaders telling him he deserved his fate, due to his atheism. On the bright side, he was good friends with Dr. Francis Collins, the brilliant Christian who is also a believer in science and heads the NIH.

John Nobody agreed with Hitchens on everything--he seemed to pride himself on that! An even rarer quality of his was being able to change his mind as time went by and evidence and experience poured in. (So let's all pour out a Johnny Walker black and raise a toast!)

Lynne Spreen Exactly, John! Here's to Hitch.