Chelsey's Reviews > Dr. Frankenstein's Daughters

Dr. Frankenstein's Daughters by Suzanne Weyn

6209040
Jan 01, 13

Read in January, 2013

Ever since I was a child I loved the stories of Frankenstein and Dracula. I am not quite sure why, but these two fictional characters were just always works of genius in my mind. Their stories never scared me but rather allowed me to suspend my disbelief. When I came across this new novel by Suzanne Weyn I knew that I immediately had to request a copy for review. This story follows the twin daughters of Victor Frankenstein, the man who created a monster. Giselle and Ingrid do not know much of their father, having never met him, but they begin to learn more than they ever thought they would once news of his death reached them. The twin sisters have inherited Castle Frankenstein and all of its buried and hidden secrets.

This story is told between the shifting view points of Ingrid and Giselle Frankenstein. Ingrid is more down to earth and highly intelligent, just like her father, while Giselle is more glamorous and sees the castle as a project, in which she hopes to renovate and turn into a luxurious palace once again. Ingrid finds a stronger connection to their father, after living inside the castle, and begins to explore all of his journals, experiments, and findings. It was wonderful to read the two different perspectives because each girl was so different. They were honestly night and day. At first I didn’t think I was going to like the alternating chapters because I thought the book would read like a story instead of diary entries, but I was satisfied with the way each girl is represented and being inside each of their minds, not just the narrator’s.

The story didn’t take creepy twists and turns until after the first half. The further that Ingrid dug into her father’s past, the creepier the castle and its inhabitants became. The whole idea of uncovering the secrets of your supposedly mad and yet deceased father was an awesome concept, and I believe that Ingrid was just the right character to unveil it all. You find out more and more about Victor and his experiments as you read deeper into the book, like I said before. The action builds and builds with each chapter. Not to mention that both of the girls have love interests and romance is spread within some chapters throughout. It wasn’t as eerie as I thought that it would be, but when I did get to the eerie parts I could feel chills up my spine. I mean this is Frankenstein, it has to be a little scary!

The romance/love scenes did not take over the intent of the plot and I really appreciated that. I was most intrigued by Ingrid’s love interest and to be honest it took me by surprise. Walter was a war veteran who was confined to a wheelchair because of an extensive disability. Ingrid’s interest in him was apparent and understandable, but I questioned his motives for awhile. When she first met him she was alone and vulnerable and I was literally yelling at her as I read. However, Walter’s story becomes more complicated when he first sees Giselle. I do not want to spoil anything for readers, but I will say that these scenes were some of my favorite ones. It was very unpredictable!

I really enjoyed this book and I found it to be an easy read. I read it in one night and I was very enthralled in Victor Frankenstein’s legacy. Ingrid was obviously my favorite character because Giselle seemed a little daft at times. I am hoping that Suzanne decides to continue with these types of stories and maybe even with Giselle and Ingrid!

***A huge thank you to the publishers at Scholastic for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dr. Frankenstein's Daughters.