Ava Black's Reviews > The Undomestic Goddess

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

F 50x66
Aug 29, 12

Recommended to Ava by: chick li fans, light read

I re - read this book after a while, I read the American version ( I am Italian ). Anyway, I love Kinsella's books and humor. Her " shopaholic" series is her best, but I enjoyed this one as well.
Why did I give it just 3 stars? Well, because it is a nice, light read. And because something is missing.

WHAT I LOVED ABOUT IT:
- the books is fun. I laughed quite a lot in the first part of the book.

- the main character, Samantha, is funny. I kinda relate to her because I can't cook or clean either so it was so funny to see how she worked things out.

- the book has a moral and, nowadays, is not so usual. Okay, it's a banal one, but still.

- the writing is nice.

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE ABOUT IT:

- the main character, Samantha, needs people around her to go on the right track. I mean, she is almost 30 years old, stuck in a working life she hates, being workaholic, but she needs the help of Nathaniel, Trish and her husband and so on to figure this out. I mean, at 30 y.o. you should be old enought to see what's best for you.

- she allows her mother to boss her around and, as I was saying before, she is not a baby anymore. Going on in the story she tells to her mother what she feels like, but she would not have done it if she was able to become a partner at the lawyer firm she was working in. As you may understand from my review, I don't like losers, and I think Samantha kinda is one.

- the love story is just...well, calm. Nathaniel is handsome, of course, like all the book's main characters, but there are some scenes that are just...well, Samantha being babyish again ( SPOLIER when she feels like she is 14 y.o. and obsesses over this guy just because...he is there ).

- the cooking and cleaning part was funny when she did not know how to do it, but when Kinsella started with expleinations got kinda boring to me. Maybe 'cause I don't particularly care for cooking or cleaning.

Overall, I suggest this book for a nice, light read. But if you have to choose one of Kinsella's books, go for the " Shopaholic" series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Undomestic Goddess.