Chrissy's Reviews > No Exit and Three Other Plays

3204605
Aug 29, 12

bookshelves: 2012, gamechangers
Read in August, 2012

"One always dies too soon--or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are--your life, and nothing else."

----

Zeus: Your gift to them will be a sad one; of loneliness and shame. You will tear from their eyes the veils I had laid on them, and they will see their lives as they are, foul and futile, a barren boon.
Orestes: Why, since it is their lot, should I deny them the despair I have in me?
Zeus: What will they make of it?
Orestes: What they choose. They're free; and human life begins on the far side of despair.

"Justice is a matter between men, and I need no god to teach me it."

"But her suffering comes from within, and only she can rid herself of it. For she is free."

----

"That's the height of luxury--medicine to make you hungry while others in the street would sell their souls for a beefsteak."

"You, I know you now, you are a destroyer. You detest men because you detest yourself. Your purity resembles death. The revolution you dream of is not ours. You don't want to change the world, you want to blow it up."

----

"What do you know about that? You know, it's your sin, honey. Yes, of course, it's mine too. But then, I've got so many on my conscience--"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Exit and Three Other Plays.