Balaram Briant's Reviews > Fallout: Equestria

Fallout by kkat

Sep 20, 12

Read from August 28 to September 20, 2012

This is the best book I have ever read, and not just because I am a brony. I have read many bad fan fictions that I didn’t like, and many that I liked only because they were pony related. This tale fits into neither of those categories.

Why is a story that is based off of ponies, and a first person shooter, the best book I have ever read?

First off the character development was astounding. LittlePip, Calamity, Velvet Remedy, SteelHooves; all are characters I will hold close to my heart for the rest of my life. I care for them as much as I do for characters in the show itself, which is unheard of amongst fan fiction writers with original characters (as far as I know, I haven’t read every fan fic in existence though).

However, although the skilled craftsmanship in this story can be appreciated by any connoisseur of literature, and the plot isn’t reliant on that of the TV show, a non brony will hardly be able to appreciate this work. If you haven’t accepted ponies into your life, than you most likely won’t be able to get past the “childishness” of having animal characters. A sad predicament.

If you are a brony considering whether to read this fandom famed tale, than just have trust in me and read it. If you are an outsider who somehow stumbled onto the GoodReads page of this self-published, not mainstream book, and are thinking of reading it, then I would advise watching the show first. If ya can’t appreciate the show, you can’t appreciate this story. But that’s not to say that if you like the show your guaranteed to like this book, it’s violent in a way that rated R movies can’t be and sad at times.

But the message is of hope for a better tomorrow, of will to make it that way, and of the ability of friendship to stand in the face of all obstacles.

It was the best book I have ever read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallout.

08/28/2012 page 24
08/28/2012 page 50
3.13% "Obviously I was going to like this book, being a brony and all. I've never played the games, but so far it doesn't seem that knowledge of them is needed to understand this fabulous story. When I finish this book it will be the longest I have ever read, and I can't think of a better book to break my record with."
08/30/2012 page 431
26.94% "This is a sad story. A really sad story, not like "My Little Dashie," which although it made me cry and this novel has yet to, is just a tale of saying goodbye. This story explores the darkest of possibilities, it explores in detail places that other Great War themed MLP fan fics wouldn't dream of. If the characters weren't so good, I would have stopped reading it long ago."
09/16/2012 page 1065
66.56% "I have never loved characters as much as I love the characters of Fallout: Equestria. Littlepip, Calamity, SteelHooves, Velvet Remedy, and Xenith. You just don't get a better set of main characters, or more well developed. And the plot is pure unblemished perfection and the action is masterful (though admittedly I am not the kind or reader that needs constant action to keep me from putting down a book)."
show 11 hidden updates…