Trent Mikesell's Reviews > Cage of Stars

Cage of Stars by Jacquelyn Mitchard

Dec 16, 08

I read all the time (and don't even put a portion of the books I read on here), but mostly it's silly YA books that are fast paced and short. That's often my preferred kind of book because I can read it quickly and just enjoy it. However, every so often I like to read something more serious and thought-provoking. My wife brought this book home from a book fair at her school. What attracted me to it was that it is about an LDS family, but it is not written by an LDS author. It is about a girl whose sisters are killed and the journey she must undergo to forgive their killer.

The book is quite profound and I enjoyed it immensely. With that said, I will say that the author has no ear for real human dialogue and she also sometimes will make events happen without clearly explaining them or leading up to them. That was confusing at times. However, I enjoyed it because of the lessons it teaches about forgiveness and how each of us has may have to take a different path to find redemption and to be willing to forgive others. I don’t want to say anymore because I don’t want to give away the book, but if you want to read something different and touching, I recommend it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cage of Stars.