Jason LeRoy's Reviews > Fraud: Essays

Fraud by David Rakoff

Aug 28, 2012

"What remains of your past if you didn't allow yourself to feel it when it happened?" This is one of several particularly haunting passages from the final essay in this, David Rakoff's first collection. At the time of his passing, I mistakenly thought I'd read all of his books, but it turned out I actually hadn't read the first. It was a bittersweet delight to be able to immerse myself in these impeccably written, exquisitely funny stories, having wrongly thought I'd already exhausted his catalog. My reading began and ended with little coincidences; I picked it up moments after finishing a Joni Mitchell bio, and Rakoff quotes a line from her song "Cactus Tree" that figured prominently in her bio almost immediately. Then, moments after I finished the book, the Wagner quote he references in the last essay (in which he poignantly writes about his experiences with cancer, at that point hoping it was behind him) was repeated on a TV show I was watching. Just weird little moments of happenstance. Reading Rakoff has always helped me to write and even think more clearly. I will miss his voice very much.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fraud.