Candace (Lovey Dovey Books)'s Reviews > Derailed

Derailed by Alyssa Rose Ivy

Dec 02, 12

Read in November, 2012

Derailed is a nice story that gives readers a taste of Alyssa Rose Ivy's writing for an older audience. Molly drops everything, leaving behind the tragic memory of a fiance and her goal to finish law school, and moves back to her small town home in North Carolina. She doesn't exactly return to happy feelings and wonderful memories, though. All that she ran away from in the first place, including high school sweetheart Ben, rushes to meet her at her front door.

Derailed's story line is interesting and definitely romantic, but I didn't go gaga over the main character. Molly was kind of flat and didn't have a unique characterization. I enjoyed reading her story and trying to figure out what was going through her mind, but Molly was very forgettable. Her high school sweetheart was determined, a gentleman, and the kind of guy every girl would love to meet. Ben didn't have as much page time as Molly but I felt he had more personality and was more well-rounded. He was the exact personification of a small town guy.

The romance of the novel is the better part of the plot. It's consistent, hot, and the kind of romance that radiates comfortable vibes. Molly and Ben's reconnection is sweet with hints of sultriness. I love that it was rough at first, their new connection began slowly and grew into something completely unexpected.

Derailed end on a note of Molly's closure with the past and opening to a future of new beginnings. It's like her story came full circle and she realized that she's found the place where the pieces fit and she can move on from past hurts. The Clayton Falls series is just beginning and I'm excited to see where it's headed!

*eARC provided in exchange for an honest review and blog tour purposes*
Also published on Lovey Dovey Books

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Derailed.