Stella ☢FAYZ☢ Chen's Reviews > Warm Bodies

Jan 01, 13

Recommended to Stella by: Ruth
Recommended for: People who are sick of YA cliches
Read from August 28 to December 27, 2012

Edit: Wait! Wut? There is now a sequel? Untitled Warm Bodies Sequel. I was happy with it being a stand-along but whatevaaaa, I'm happy to read another book by him.
End of edit.

Although this book gets 5 stars from me, it is by no means, perfect. Don't go in and think, well Stella gave it 5 stars so I'll love it. Truth is, I didn't love a large portion of this book, but if you value by opinions, then I ask you, please read on.

-Start of review-
Okay, as mentioned above, this book is not perfect. This is a graphic (sinusoidal) representation of how I would have rated this book throughout the novel:
A cosine!

The book started out humorous, refreshing and a bit quirky. R, our main character is awkward, lacking a bit of neural activities and most importantly, a zombie. He is like a newly released piece of avant-garde clothing arriving at a major department store near you. You're intrigued by it, you want to like it because it's not your typical t-shirt and jeans but you're also afraid. You're afraid because he is not your typical YA main character, which means, all bets are off. There is no predictability as to where this character is going, no "a girl who finds out she is the daughter of a very powerful man, which means she possesses this special power," no "quiet girl whose male best friend has been crushing on her since they could walk, but instead falls for the hot, cold guy she barely understand." So right off the bat, for about 30 pages, I enjoyed the book, I would give it 5/5 stars.

But then, things started to change. I blame my YA-trained brain for expecting "insta-love" romance to blossom. Well, THANK YOU ISAAC MARION. It didn't quite happen. Instead, the readers are confronted with about 120 pages of development. I appreciate this part because this is the character growth and relationship reinforcement that so many YA lack. But at the same time, my YA-trained brain was twitching for some action. So for the majority of this part, I thought this part was going to be a 2.5/5 for me. But I don't like to give up on books, not when I am so intrigued by the unpredictability of the plot. So, I read on, and for this, Stella's brain would like to thank Stella's curiosity.

After this slump, things picked up and it was as if an old Mercedes was restored to life, it began to chug along. I won't comment on the last 70 or so pages for fear of saying too much. All I can say is the unpredictability of this book definitely bumped up this book's rating. I want to read more and more of it. Devouring words after words, hoping to find out more and more of this world Isaac Marion has painted. And we arrive at 4/5 stars.

What gained this book that sought-after, coveted last star?
I thought and thought about this book after I finish and I couldn't stop thinking about it. So, first of all, that is a sign I really enjoyed this book. Many neuronal action potentials later, I've summed up the other things I loved about this book:

1) Marion's poetic writing. They are soft as butter and so reminiscent of John Green and Tahereh Mafi (or so I've heard). Here are some samples:

"I want out ribcage to crack open and our hearts to migrate and merge. I want our cells to braid together like living thread."

"I want to change my punctuation. I long for exclamation marks, but I'm drowning in ellipses."

"Sex, once a law as undisputed as gravity, has been disproved. The equation is erased, the blackboard broken."

"[What is love?] Maybe it's a kind of death throe. A distant echo of that great motivator that once started wars and inspired symphonies, that drove human history out of the caves and into space."

2) A tie-in to Marion's writing style is his diction in certain areas – so anatomical, so relevant to the concept of the Living Dead.
"The soft pink zygote of a plan."

"...her zygomaticus major pulling her lips in a faint smile."
At one point, Marion even describes Julie being out of breath as her bronchial constricting. Thanks for being specific and accurate.

3) The humour:

"Why is it beautiful that humanity keeps coming back? Herpes does that, too."

"Every time I go into the city, I bring back one thing that catches my eye. A puzzle. A shot glass. A Barbie. A dildo."

4) So many Frank Sinatra references!!

5) The "different perspective"...(view spoiler) It would translate great onto the big screen.

Phew. If this review is any larger, it might be up for contention as a planet circling our sun. If you're still around at this point, I thank you. You value my opinions! Can our cells braid together like living thread?
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

Quotes Stella Liked

Isaac Marion
“I want to change my punctuation. I long for exclamation marks, but I'm drowning in ellipses.”

Isaac Marion
“In my mind I am eloquent; I can climb intricate scaffolds of words to reach the highest cathedral ceilings and paint my thoughts. But when I open my mouth, everything collapses.”

Isaac Marion
“I'm watching her talk. Watching her jaw move and collecting her words one by one as they spill from her lips. I don't deserve them. Her warm memories. I'd like to paint them over the bare plaster walls of my soul, but everything I paint seems to peel.”

Isaac Marion
“I crush her against me. I want to be part of her. Not just inside her but all around her. I want our rib cages to crack open and our hearts to migrate and merge. I want our cells to braid together like living thread.”

Isaac Marion
“...and we'll see what happens when we say Yes while this rigor mortis world screams No.”

Isaac Marion
“Every time I go to sleep, I know I may never wake up. How could anyone expect to? You drop your tiny, helpless mind into a bottomless well, crossing your fingers and hoping when you pull it out on its flimsy fishing wire it hasn't been gnawed to bones by nameless beasts below.”

08/28/2012 page 13
5.0% 2 comments
10/04/2012 page 20
8.0% "I love the two perspectives this book and The Enemy gives me. really interesting to read them at the same time."
12/21/2012 page 57
22.0% "Finished The Enemy, catching up on The Walking Dead and now reading this? I think I might have a zombie issue."
12/24/2012 page 105
41.0% "Okay, things are moving a bit sloooooow."
show 1 hidden update…

Matt Haha. Interested to see what you think.

Ruth ME GUSTA.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen It's fairly short so I can definitely read it this week. Hooray for two zombie books at once.

message 4: by Matt (last edited Aug 28, 2012 07:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt Stella wrote: "It's fairly short so I can definitely read it this week. Hooray for two zombie books at once."

Although this might taint the hardcore zombeh vibe of The Dead.

message 5: by Justin (new) - added it

Justin How do you add who recommended it?

message 6: by Stella (last edited Aug 28, 2012 08:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Once you're on the page where you write your reviews, there should be an a "more options" thingy (LOOK AT ME BEING ALL INTELLIGENT). You can find some fancy boxes you might want to fill in (eg: Number of times you read the book...etc.).

It should be right under Date I Finished This Book.

message 7: by Justin (new) - added it

Justin Kay. Thx.

Matt Justin wrote: "Kay. Thx."

K. Thnx.

message 9: by Justin (new) - added it

Justin ???

message 10: by Justin (new) - added it

Justin In a week eh? Its between like months. Lolololol

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Justin wrote: "In a week eh? Its between like months. Lolololol"

Time works differently in Canada.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen OMG I'm finally done. I think it took me longer to write the review then read the book. (I'm joking, of course.)

message 13: by Justin (new) - added it

Justin Stella wrote: "OMG I'm finally done. I think it took me longer to write the review then read the book. (I'm joking, of course.)"

LOVE THE REVIEW! When I read it, I'm using some of those quotes. :P

BTW< did you read my Gone reviews? I finally got around to writing them XD

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Justin wrote: "Stella wrote: "OMG I'm finally done. I think it took me longer to write the review then read the book. (I'm joking, of course.)"

LOVE THE REVIEW! When I read it, I'm using some of those quotes. :..."

Thanks, Justin! :) Those quotes are amazing! You should definitely read it.
As for the reviews of GONE, I haven't yet! My Internet has been acting up lately and it's hard to browse on my phone. I promise I'll read them once my Internet is back up.

message 15: by Matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt Stella wrote: "OMG I'm finally done. I think it took me longer to write the review then read the book. (I'm joking, of course.)"

This was a ridiculously well written and longggg review. You use some pretty awesome metaphor. +1.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Matt wrote: "Stella wrote: "OMG I'm finally done. I think it took me longer to write the review then read the book. (I'm joking, of course.)"

This was a ridiculously well written and longggg review. You use s..."

Haha, thanks :) Can I copy Ruth and say I "felt motivated"?