Sandy Williams's Reviews > What I Did For a Duke

What I Did For a Duke by Julie Anne Long

Aug 28, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in August, 2012

I loved this book. LOVED IT! The cover looks a little 1980s-ish, and that probably would have put me off picking this up if I was cruising a bookstore, but since I've been reading ebooks lately and buying things based on reviews, I gave the sample a try. So glad I did. This was a delightful story that made me laugh out loud literally several times. The characters were sarcastic and funny, and there were moments when the writing made me stop and go wow.

Hold on sec while I grab my Kindle...

Ah, here we go. As I said, the writing was fantastic, so fantastic that I HAD to highlight parts that were absolutely brilliant.

* Chase had told her that some men who came home from the war lived with a constant ringing in their ears caused by cannon fire. She would just have to live forever with the vertigo of heartbreak. [The vertigo of heartbreak. So vivid! Genius!]

* Her dress was a glossy silk of midnight blue, cut very low, and the "sleeves" - really scraps of net - clung to her pale, flawless shoulders, as though she'd tumbled down through clouds to get here and brought a few shreds of sky with her. [That descrption? Wow. Just wow.]

* Suddenly she was acutely aware of her five senses, as though they were blinking on, one by one, like fireflies in the dark. [Hear that? Yeah, that's me, falling in love with this author. I FELT this sentence as I read it, my senses going through the blinking on along with the character.]

* "It's what this night would feel like if I could seize hold of it." [Alex says that when touching Genevieve's hair. My heart = *thud* *thud*]

Oh, yeah, and I almost forgot. Alex's torturing of Ian reminded me, in a way, of the movie Maverick, that scene where Mel Gibson is playing poker with, I think, Billy the Kid, and everyone learns he's the fastest draw in town or something. The kid and the other player (the actor who played Doc Oct in Spiderman, I think) are scared of him, and Mel starts taunting them. "Let's play five card DRAW!" And everyone jumps. Then he says, "Mind if I take six?" And Doc Oct is all "Sure, no problem." The Alex-Ian interaction was hilarious.

So, yes, this is another author I'm so glad to have picked up. I can't wait to read her backlist.
2 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Did For a Duke.

Alexia Chantel Wow, I really need to check out this book/author!

message 2: by Sunny (new)

Sunny Thanks for the review. I'll have to pick it up!

Sandy Williams @Lexi Definitely check her out and let me know what you think!

@Sunny Yes! Hope you like it! I'm not sure how I found this author but she's a keeper. :-)