Jason Koivu's Reviews > Heart and Soul

liked it
bookshelves: vagina-soliloquies
Read from August 28 to 31, 2012

*Currently reading* status update -

Yeah, I'm reading a Maeve Binchy novel, what of it?! Seriously, why do I have this guilty/embarrassed feeling like the time when my mom caught me looking at the lingerie section in the Sears catalogue?

*Read* review -

After hearing an author's name mentioned on the radio and seeing it pop up at shops and the library, there comes a point when I bow down to the coincidences of the world that are "telling me something" and finally read something by that author. Couple that with the fact that Maeve Binchy died just a month prior and if that's not enough to get one's attention, I don't know what is. I picked up Heart and Soul, it being the first thing handy. Well I can tell you, it was not the cozy Miss Marple mystery I was expecting from the things I'd heard.

It starts off with a headstrong woman taking over operations of a new heart clinic and the newly christened reader is led to believe that the plot will focus on the clinic's potential survival or failure. Not so, as the narrative soon shifts focus on to the relationships of an ensemble cast of characters and suddenly I felt like I was watching an episode of General Hospital. Will the charming doctor fall in love with the plucky nurse? Will the widower head-of-the-clinic settle for the boring guy or even relapse and take her cheating husband back? And what of that poor little ugly duckling/swan immigrant girl? Nothing too earth-shattering or even terribly titillating, but Binchy is a good enough writer to keep the reader's interest, mainly by keeping the story moving. Days and scenes pass within the brief mention of a sentence and that's just as well. No need to read the dull bits!

Will I be reading another Binchy novel? No. I have nothing against the relationship genre, but as the kids say, it's not my cup of tea....

The kids never say that, do they?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart and Soul.

message 1: by Staci (new)

Staci You should NOT feel that way about Binchy's books..she was a wonderful writer!!

Jason Koivu Staci wrote: "You should NOT feel that way about Binchy's books..she was a wonderful writer!!"

Everything I heard and saw of her's led me to believe she was a "tea & crumpets" kind of writer. Don't get me wrong, I love my afternoon tea and Jane Austen, but I thought that Binchy's writing might be a little on the lightweight side. I'm a quarter of the way into the book so far and it's not bad! Not too crumpety!

message 3: by Staci (new)

Staci Jason wrote: "Staci wrote: "You should NOT feel that way about Binchy's books..she was a wonderful writer!!"

Very Cool!! I haven't read this one but I loved Circle of Friends!!!

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Tevis I think I've read one of her books she's pretty good :)

message 5: by Keri (new)

Keri You are allowed to read whatever you want! Enjoy! :-)

Jason Koivu Keri wrote: "You are allowed to read whatever you want! Enjoy! :-)"

But I'm afraid my buddies will take away my man-card! lol!

message 7: by Katy (new)

Katy Jason wrote: "Keri wrote: "You are allowed to read whatever you want! Enjoy! :-)"

But I'm afraid my buddies will take away my man-card! lol!"

Meh - just beat them at an arm-wrestling contest and they'll shut up...

Rmtobin For what it is worth, this book is not as good as her others in terms of plot and character development. Even if it isn't your cup of tea, this is a not particularly good or representative pot.

Jason Koivu Rmtobin wrote: "For what it is worth, this book is not as good as her others in terms of plot and character development. Even if it isn't your cup of tea, this is a not particularly good or representative pot."

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Sherry I like the fact that she isn't deep. Sometimes it's the right thing to read. It's like a light desert after a heavy meal if you just read one of those kind of books that have to delve into everything and make all tragic drama.

Sherry Dessert? I always get dessert and desert mixed up. Excuse my ignorance. Either way sometimes a light read is the best read.

Jason Koivu Sherry wrote: "Dessert? I always get dessert and desert mixed up. Excuse my ignorance. Either way sometimes a light read is the best read."

The desert is something you want to get through asap, whereas dessert is something you want to linger over, thus the extra S. :)

Sherry I have no idea what this book is then lol! I'm listening to it. I'm about a third into it. Maybe I'm in the desert! It's nice but I'm not savoring every word.
Thanks for the extra s description!