Kirsty's Reviews > Knots and Crosses

Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin

Dec 31, 2008

Read in December, 2008

This was my first Ian Rankin and so I wasn't really sure what to expect from the book. I'd had recommendations from friends but had always found something I wanted to read more than this.

I'm glad I picked it up. The pace at the beginning was a little slow for me and it took me a while to get into it, however from page 100 or so onwards I couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting.

I like the depth in which the central character - Detective Sergeant Rebus - is explored. I felt that I could connect to him as a person and that I knew where he was coming from. A lot of thrillers have one-dimensional characters - preferring to focus on the action instead of the characterisation. This was not the case with this book. Rebus is very much a multi-faceted character and it really adds to the book.

The book also kept me guessing throughout and I didn't figure out the killer until it was revealed in the book. This for me is a sign of a good thriller. Either that, or I'm losing my touch!

The scenes towards the end of the book were fast paced and kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys the likes of James Patterson and David Baldacci.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knots and Crosses.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Good review Kirsty. It has me wanting to give Rankin a try.

Kirsty Sorry I only just saw your comment - I haven't been getting emails for some reason... Thanks, I think if you're a fan of thrillers then you'd definitely enjoy it.