Pamela Mcinnes's Reviews > In the Land of Invisible Women: A Female Doctor's Journey in the Saudi Kingdom

In the Land of Invisible Women by Qanta A. Ahmed

F 50x66
Jan 05, 2013

Read in August, 2012

I found this to be a gripping memior of a British-born, western trained woman doctor of Pakistani descent. The doctor writes of her personal and professional experiences working in a "liberal" Saudi hospital. Her book describes the climate of the work, social and political life that she experienced with Saudi nationals and with foreigners during her stay in Saudi Arabia. She also describes the varied personalities and experiences of Saudi people whom she got to know while living and working there. One minute I was impressed by the numerous highly educated working women described in the book, the next I was awed by the description of the pilgrimage to Mecca and finally I was dismayed by opinions widely expressed by her Saudi colleages in ressponse to 9/11. Sometimes the name dropping of brands of cars, furniture and clothing was distracting to me, but I recommend the book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Land of Invisible Women.