Constance's Reviews > Beowulf

Beowulf by Gareth Hinds

Aug 28, 12

Read in August, 2012

Take me back to a time where men where brave and monsters ruled the earth.
Take me back and remind me that before the skyscrapers and the planes and the ships there where vessels, hovels, and Lords.

I have this thought quite often. I love history ( beyond AP USA) and am often drawn to novels which depict hero's in their prime. Beowulf is possibly the most powerful of all these epics. Not only does it pull you in with its vivid story but it itself is a testament to the changing english language.

Just look at how many times this book has been reproduced. It is constantly being read, always being reanalyzed. That is the sign of an epic if there ever was one

Beowulf is the story of one valiant warrior as he moves from his humble beginnings toward the end of his life. He is a brave thane then a powerful king, slaying the beasts that terrifying the world. He travels to the aid of the people that need him and lunges into danger with the perseverance and swiftness of a hero.

I am making this review short because I have to get back to the essay I have to write on this book ( it was assigned to me as a part of my major English writings Class) but you should read this if you want to get pulled back in a different time.

Not only the behavior but the words themselves reflect a hero's battle and ultimate triumph.
A beautiful peace of literature if I have ever seen one.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beowulf.