Jodyhatter honeybunny's Reviews > A Suitable Boy

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth

F_50x66
Aug 28, 12

Read in October, 1997

I read this book in the September of the year that I finished college. I had no TV, was working 6 day weeks for chuff-all money and was suffering a distinct dose of post-college blues. I missed my friends and I missed the fecklessness of university. So I started reading this book. And I fell in love with it. I would come home from work, pick it up and be transported into another world. The tale is a beautiful, beguiling one. I can scarcely remember it now. so long has it been since I read it (am making mental note to get it down and re-read!). The point is this; when I was my most in need of entertainment, this book held my attention. When I missed my old life the most, this book transported me to a new one and reminded me that there is a world out there full of challenge. And when I felt my saddest, to be on my own in a strange city this book kept me company and made me feel safe. A bit gushy, I know. But its one hell of a book ;) I cried the night I finished it and felt lonely for weeks afterwards. No other book has touched me in the same way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Suitable Boy.