Reeka (BoundbyWords)'s Reviews > Twice Shy

Oct 01, 12

bookshelves: ah-zombies, library-thing-arc-win
Read from September 13 to 15, 2012 — I own a copy

As seen on my blog:

I was just about to write this review, but while I was getting info for the "book info" section, I came across Patrick's Facebook page. The first thing I saw was his newest post: "A month to go before the release of Twice Shy... So of course I'm cranking out the sequel!"

So uh..now..my review, and number of stars has changed from a 2 star to 3 star rating. It was the ending scene alone that enraged me SO much, I put aside what I enjoyed about the book, and based my rating solely on that scene. I was all set..SET! to come on here and vent my anger freely and without thought. But, thankfully, seeing Patrick's post has brought me to a serene level 1 on my anger meter =). I just couldn't understand how a book that showed such tremendous potential throughout, stooped to such a predictable conclusion-but it isn't a conclusion! Yay! So I can now ramble on about the things I liked about this book.

When I started reading this book, I instantly regretted reading the synopsis beforehand-I would have loved to be blind to what Ani was until I figured it out for myself. Patrick Freivald crafted the most unusual and fantastic spin on the literary zombie explosion. I thought it was pretty genius really- Ani is a zombie, but hides this fact everyday with the aid of her knowledgeable doctor mother, who has devised enough medicinal potions and lotions to help her live a 'normal' teenage life. I was intrigued, and thought the writing was well done-I think it could have done with a lot less 'mishaps,' there were just too many of them, I felt like every time Ani overcame an 'incident,' there was another one a few feet behind. It was slightly exhausting-I just wanted the storyline to move a little faster.

This was my second 'zombie' novel, and alike the first, I enjoyed the fact that the actual zombie interaction wasn't overpowering..yes, I'm a bit of a wuss. I thought the characters were believable, and the storyline and it's details were well thought out. But I also feel like it could have been so much more than what it was. I always felt like there was something lurking in between the lines, pulsing, waiting to step out and become something really spectacular. When I got to the end, I'll admit, I was disappointed..in ways that I can't describe without spoiler-ing left, right and centre. Otherwise, a good debut for this author. Here's to HIGH hopes for the sequel!

*Won as an Paperback ARC from Library Thing*
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twice Shy.