Jed L's Reviews > The Measure of the Magic

The Measure of the Magic by Terry Brooks

Aug 29, 12

Read from August 28 to 29, 2012

Brooks has a tendency to allow his second book in a series be a let down. Perhaps it is because he is best at setting the stage, introducing characters and developing the plot(s). But when it comes to adding depth, introducing new characters and trying to keep multiple plot lines coherent, it begins to unravel a bit. The last criticism I will leave is that Brooks consistently reminds his readers of plot elements from his first book. Perhaps it is because I just read the first one in that series, but seriously, most readers have a pretty decent memory and can pick off from where you left off unless it has been a 5 year absence. I don't think the constant reminders of who did what in the first book is necessary and is a distraction from getting the plot moving forward.

Still, I enjoyed this story and I think it is the last of this series, but I could be wrong. If it isn't I am surprised as I am happy with where this book ended off. It has a unique ending for Brooks and sets the stage for either another book or series to come down the road.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Measure of the Magic.