J.A. Belfield's Reviews > The Archived

The Archived by Victoria Schwab

5120786
Nov 15, 13

bookshelves: to-read

Please note: My review is of an preview excerpt only, and not the entire book.

I managed to nab this taster teaser of The Archived from Netgalley, whilst it was up for grabs, and I’m very glad I did. Because it turned out to be a very interesting read. It’s a little difficult to write a review on only part of a book, but I’m going to try—though chances are it won’t be very long.
Here goes:
To begin, I struggled a little over the voice. I hadn’t taken that much notice of the blurb—more of the plot than the character mentioned—and so I didn’t know much about the MC when I headed in. For some reason, my mind decided the MC was a teen boy—but then the ‘voice’ sounded a lot more male than female. However, when I hit a spot where the MC is addressed by name, I stumbled because MacKenzie is a far more feminine than masculine name. It took a little while longer for me to clarify and be certain.
That aside, there is no denying that this is one intriguing story. The opening drew me in with little effort. I loved the little flashback scenes intermittently woven into the main storyline so the reader fully understands just how Mac came to be where/who she is. I also loved the tone of the book. Admittedly, at one point, I did grow concerned about the repetition of the MC’s life—almost as though we were being shown different variations of the same kind of occurrence—but then almost as soon as that worry crept in, a cookie is tossed to the reader and you just know that things are about to get even more interesting.
Yep, and predictably, that’s about where the sharing ended—which means I’m well and truly suckered and will now have to read on.
To conclude: if the tone and plotlines continue as they have been, I believe this just might fill a hole for all of those looking to fill the Harry Potter void. I’m looking forward to finding out if it now lives up to this pedestal I’ve stuck it on. :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Archived.

11/15/2013 marked as: to-read