Erin's Reviews > Royal Street

Royal Street by Suzanne  Johnson

1975653
Aug 28, 12

Read in August, 2012

I also have a thing for books that are set in New Orleans~it is my favorite city to visit by far, and sometimes I dream about living there. I have a good friend who grew up in and lived in New Orleans until about 8 years ago, and I ask her about it every chance I get without bugging her too much. She puts up with me though. This book got my attention because on our honeymoon, my husband and I stayed on Royal Street. Then I saw that the book takes place before/during Hurricane Katrina. I was in New Orleans with my family a week before the hurricane hit - in fact my brother got an eye ulcer while we were there, and if it hadn't gotten better, we would have been there during the hurricane. My father went back down with the Red Cross as a volunteer as well. I just feel a huge connection to the city. It was also a little strange to read it when I did, because of Hurricane Isaac and its threat to the city. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will all be ok down there. The parts in this book that dealt with the destruction and despair that the hurricane were moving.

So, now that you know my life history ~ I thought this book was entertaining. Johnson made up some of her own rules regarding ghosts, and they worked for me. Sometimes they don't for me, like the shiny vampires in Twilight. Johnson created this world where famous ghosts can exist as long as people still talk about them and remember them. I think this was a way to get famous New Orleans ghosts like Marie Laveau, Louis Armstrong, and Jean Lafitte to be characters in her story. At first I was skeptical of this device, but then it grew on me and I liked it.

This book reminded me a bit of the Harry Dresden series, and while I liked Royal Street, it is not quite as good as Jim Butcher's books. But this is the first book I have read in the series, and I think it has potential. I do plan on reading the next in the series, River Road in the future. Royal Street was just a fun read with ghosts and wizards, in my favorite city.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royal Street.