Sheyla's Reviews > The Education of Little Tree

The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter

Dec 16, 08

Just finished this and I loved it. I will have to add this one to my list of Favorites. All told from the mouth of a 5 year old... Maybe that's why I was so entertained. I'm surrounded by kids all the time anyway.

The wisdom and utter innocence of Little tree was so refreshing I felt like I was being schooled by a 5 year old. I loved learning about all the Indian traditions.
Toward the end when he had to leave, I was so sad I ached for Little tree and his Grandparents. I fell in love with them and Willow John and in the end when they passed I felt as if I too needed to mourn.
I haven't been so emotionally connected like this to a book in a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Education of Little Tree.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline I just read this at Salon.com "The Education of Little Fraud" he was a psychopath-

"Instead, he helped create a new and even more virulent organization, the original Ku Klux Klan of the Confederacy, whose members wore Confederate gray robes instead of white. In Carter’s view, the old KKK had become too soft and compromised. Various acts of violence were associated with the new Kluxers, the most famous being the assault on Nat “King” Cole at a concert in Birmingham in 1957. Less well known but far uglier was the 1957 abduction of a black handyman named Edward Aaron who had offended members of Carter’s group with inflammatory talk of forced integration. The abductors, never identified, sliced off Aaron’s scrotum and poured turpentine on his wounds. According to his childhood pal Buddy Barnett, Carter — who openly advocated violence in his speeches and articles — was appalled by the coldbloodedness of the attack. But Don Carter, who wrote a biography of George Wallace, took a darker view, saying, '[Carter] had a long history of violence, in fact, it’s not an exaggeration to call him something of a … psychopath.'"