Heather's Reviews > Y

Y by Marjorie Celona

7520211
Aug 28, 13

Read from September 17 to 18, 2012

Overall impression, I liked the book. It was a quick read , the story flowed, the characters were inersting, the plot had a point to it, the character development was very good.

The thing that kep niggling at me was the first person perspective on events that happned before Shannon was born. It was bugging me that Shannon was telling Yula's story, she wasnt't there, I would have much preferred a third person, narrative perspective.

The story gets very gritty, and delves into the dark side of human behaviour. I have seen many people give this book a negative review because it was depressing, or dragged them down. I think these are signs of excellent writing. I felt the writing was very real, and gave the reader an understanding of what is going on inside a person who does "bad" things.

In the end I found the book provided a message of hope, that peopel can overcome carappy circumstances, bad choices and move on.

I definitely think it is worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Y.

09/17/2012 page 285
98.0% "I had to temporarily abandon the other two books I was reading, as I was on the waitinglist for this at the library, and as it is a new release, it had a very short lending time on it. I am getting through it very quickly though."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heather I am so excited this book was nominated for the Long List for the 2013 Flaherty-Dunnan First Novel Prize