Patsy Frey-Davis's Reviews > Beta

4162098
Sep 01, 2012

it was ok
Read from August 28 to 29, 2012

After reading (and enjoying) many others by this author I came to my egalley of Beta with high expectations that the book utterly failed to live up to. While the world is interesting the character development felt poorly paced. This would have normally still earned 3 stars from me but for two major issues: a race of characters in the book that are genetically modified to be the "best elements of human kind" and are therefore utterly Aryan and worshiped by normal people for their beauty AND a nasty anti-choice message at the end that makes no sense in the context of the book's major themes of imprisonment and choice.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beta.

Seanean that Pro-Life message from the same character who is all "everyone should be free to make their own choices" really bugged me, too.

Lauren Beauchamp I'm not going to lie, it bugs me that nobody writing these reviews seems to feel that the BABY has a right to live, to grow up, and to make choices, just as much as any of the other characters.

The Aryan thing popped into my mind as well, but really Alexander, at least, isn't like that, because there is no desire to extinguish other groups/races. I'll be interested to see where Cohn takes the story.