LORI CASWELL's Reviews > Wall-to-Wall Dead

Wall-to-Wall Dead by Jennie Bentley

Sep 06, 12

bookshelves: read-2012
Read from August 28 to 29, 2012

Derek and Avery are fixing up a cute little condo in Waterfield, Maine. It reminds Avery of her tiny apartment in Manhattan. She hopes to use some "tricks of the trade" that she has learned to make the small condo into a place with a more open feeling. It should be a quick job and a fast sale as the need the money as they wait for the right buyer to come along for the huge project they had just completed.

The only drawback to the project is the little old lady in the downstairs condo. She watches every move every resident of the building makes from her perch in front of her window. Hilda loves to snoop and keep track of everything happening outside her window.

When Hilda is missing from her window for a whole day Avery gets suspicious. She convinces Derek to break open the door so they can make sure she is all right. It is then they find that the busybody is now a dead body. While most people think she has died of natural causes Avery thinks there is more to the story. No one seems sad that Hilda is gone. Some residents are even happy. Maybe the old lady had some dirt on one of the residents, a secret they didn't want to get out. Could anyone have a secret worth killing for? Avery is determined to find out by doing a little snooping of her own.

Dollycas's Thoughts
Checking in with Derek and Avery is like getting together with old friends. I love to see what they are up to and their projects never fail to spark some DIY ideas for around the house.

Every small town and most apartment buildings have someone who could be called a busybody but Hilda is a busybody extraordinaire. In my synopsis I called her seat in front of her window her "perch", that is so fitting because she seemed to me like an ornery old bird. Too bad her snooping got her into so much trouble.

Jennie Bentley is one of the master writers of the cozy mystery genre. She has created characters we care about and she has a plethora of ideas for having trouble find them. The stories are fun and full of suspects which keeps the reading guessing. This one fooled me right to the end.

The setting in part of this book took us to the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Portland, Maine. After reading about this wonderful building I had to find out if it was a real place. It is! Jennie's words had formed a picture in my mind. All I can say is her words took me there and the pictures confirmed that this cathedral really is an awesome place. The best books help us to escape and travel without ever leaving home. This one did that for me!! I know Waterfield is a fictional place but the author has painted it so clearly in our minds that we can escape there in each installment without any need to physical pictures. From Barnham College to Waterfield Inn. You can travel around Waterfield with ease and be drawn right into the lives of its residents from the seat of your cozy chair.

Wall-to-Wall Dead is a wonderful cozy mystery and a perfect escape.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wall-to-Wall Dead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol We lived in a downstairs condo and had to move. They kept dropping bowling balls when we got from from work. The last straw was when they smashed pumpkins from above on our entrance!!! Definitely going to read" Wall to Wall Dead".