Monnie's Reviews > Hot Blood

Hot Blood by Stephen Leather

Sep 03, 12

Read from August 28 to September 03, 2012

As I work my way through all of Stephen Leather's Dan "Spider" Shepherd series, it's always a pleasure to know I won't be disappointed (I'd have given this one 4-1/2 stars had it been possible). In this one, the fourth, Shepherd has started his new job under a new supervisor he hasn't yet learned to trust completely. At the same time, he's trying to sell his house and relocate himself, his young son Liam and the "nanny" closer to his late wife Sue's parents - thus allowing the child to be near the grandparents who love him and making it a bit easier for Shepherd to be away on his ultra-secret assignments.

As he's starting out on one of those assignments, though, he learns that an old friend has been kidnapped and is being held hostage somewhere in Iraq, and the word is he'll be murdered within days. Besides being a friend and teammate, Shepherd is indebted to the man for saving his life in the heat of a previous battle. Shepherd refuses to abandon him now, and he and his teammates go off on their own to rescue him -- or die trying. Their rogue actions threaten Shepherd's new job and put his entire career in jeopardy (and his life as well).

Once again, Shepherd must deal with trying to understand the reasons he does what he does -- and whether he's willing to cross the line between necessary roughness and unethical behavior (or, for that matter, whether he's already standing on the other side).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hot Blood.