Katy's Reviews > Defiance

Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Aug 28, 2012

Read from August 28 to 29, 2012

4.5 stars - What an awesome, awesome book filled with intense characters, constant action and gripping story development that had me sucked in from beginning to end and stirred so many emotions from me.

Before I begin, I want to point out that there has been a NUMBER of dystopian books out lately, and I read just a great deal of them, so no, this book is not tremendously different from your typical dystopian book. So I do think people who were disappointed in Divergent and Delirium and similar books will be disappointed that this one was hyped up too. Like I said, Redwine's world is not terribly unique with a closed post-apocalyptic society protected by the threat of some horrible monster, and Rachel and Logan have to find a way to get to the bottom of the truth and "free" their people. At least Redwine did not write the typical "my world is totally shattered because everything I have grown up to know is not what it truly was."

HOWEVER, despite its flaws, I think Redwine did a truly amazing job for her debut - mostly because it was filled with action and because of the characters are more engaging than your typical "I'm unhappy with my oppressed society so I'm going to save everyone with a rebellion" heroes and heroines.

Rachel was such an ADMIRABLE character. Yes, I am a fan of feisty, spunky heroines, but she had this fierce determination that really sets her apart from a lot of those like her type. It was truly amazing to watch her grow as a character, from the hot-tempered red head who didn't take anything at face value to the broken lost girl who suffered from so much heartache and grief to the determinedly resolved heroine who struggled to find not only revenge but also redemption.

Logan was the WHOLE PACKAGE. Who wouldn't want a hot, badass protector who would die for someone he cares about. But at the same time, he had this respect for Rachel where he understood she was no delicate flower either. And THAT was what was so awesome about him. Add to it the fact that he was an intellectual genius who was the mastermind behind all these plans and inventions. His best and worst case scenarios were a bit dorky, but I think I found it kind of endearing that he had this nerdy side to him. It worked perfectly with his man-always-with-a-plan persona. Like I said, the whole package.

Oliver was just SO ADORABLE. Oh, the old man made me chuckle so many times. (view spoiler) And his reaction and playful jabs after the sparring scene? LOL!!! I've never had a grandfather figure, and my heart aches for someone like him.

And I don't agree that Jason Chase was a one-dimensional villain. Yes, he was your typical tyrant dictator, but this was an oppressed society - something you normally find in your typical dystopian. But what made me thing the Commander was such a great villain was that he was always one step ahead of them - ALWAYS.

I was immediately sucked in by the chemistry between Logan and Rachel. In the beginning, I was SO frustrated - but not annoyed frustration, more like desperate frustration - for them to just find the right words to say what they needed to say to each other. Their banter wasn't exactly the "I hate you, I'm going to hurt you" type of words. Nor was it the "I want you, I'm going to tease you" type of flirting. There's this challenging respect laced in their exchanges.

And the real kicker - my favorite banter scene had me chuckling.
(view spoiler)

I did have a complaint MUCH later on (view spoiler) Come on! Redwine ruined a perfectly good romance with that cliche crap.

Like I said, the book is not without its flaws, and I have a ton of questions. There is SO much I want to know. (view spoiler)

And I was a bit disappointed by the way the book kind of ended. I mean, here you were, in the middle of all the action, bam, bam, bam, and then all of a sudden, the smoke clears, and that's just it. While I'm glad there wasn't a cliffhanger and still enough for us to look forward to in the next book, it just felt like a meh kind of ending. Still, I think this was an awesome, awesome book, and I cannot wait until the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiance.

08/28/2012
25.0% "OMG! Oliver is SO adorable!"
08/28/2012
30.0% "LOL! I can't stop chuckling!"
33.0% "Squee!"
08/28/2012
35.0% "Oh no! I think I'm going to cry!"
08/28/2012
40.0% "Such heart-wrenching grief! :'("
08/28/2012
65.0% "Chapter 42 - Nooo! I don't want to stop! I don't want to stop! Sigh, why can't I find a cave to hide in?"
08/28/2012
70.0% "Nooo!!! More heart-wrenching grief!!! :'("
08/28/2012
75.0% "OMG! I know now! Damnit, I have to stop at the best part!"

message 1: by Bodea (new) - added it

Bodea My sentiments exactly. So many books waiting for me, but work, I must.

Katy Bodea wrote: "My sentiments exactly. So many books waiting for me, but work, I must."

LOL, maybe I should say I'm sick so I can go home. ;)
And I'm still waiting on a number of your reviews!

message 3: by Bodea (new) - added it

Bodea Katy wrote: "Bodea wrote: "My sentiments exactly. So many books waiting for me, but work, I must."

LOL, maybe I should say I'm sick so I can go home. ;)
And I'm still waiting on a number of your reviews!"

If I thought that would work, I'd have done it already!

I know, I have so many reviews to write. Hopefully tonight I can get in a few.

Oh, and Spark was really good. I loved hot tempered Gabriel!

Katy I think I like Chris more. ;)

message 5: by Bodea (new) - added it

Bodea Katy wrote: "I think I like Chris more. ;)
And LOL, you crack me up because your definition of "really good" is three stars. :P"

Now, don't be like that, lol! I did say 3.5 stars. It was a little more than good and in terms of the issues I had with the last book, yeh, really good.

Katy LOL. Okay, okay, waiting PATIENTLY for your review. ;)

message 7: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa How in the world can u already be at chapt 20?!
C.R.A.Z.Y!

Katy Lunch break. ;)

Deniz huh? c20?
i officially hate you you freakn robot!

message 10: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy I get off in four hours. Catch up!

Deniz Katy wrote: "I get off in four hours. Catch up!"

pffff, i am miss slowpoke AND you dont wanna teach me how to read fast!
ok STARTING NOW

message 12: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Deniz wrote: "Katy wrote: "I get off in four hours. Catch up!"

pffff, i am miss slowpoke AND you dont wanna teach me how to read fast!
ok STARTING NOW"

ow I want that lesson too!!!

Deniz Melissa wrote: "ow I want that lesson too!!!"

SEE KATY! you need stop being selfish and teach us

message 14: by Katy (last edited Aug 28, 2012 12:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Melissa wrote: "ow I want that lesson too!!!"
Deniz wrote: "SEE KATY! you need stop being selfish and teach us"

LOL, I thought Mitch already gave you the lesson.

message 15: by Deniz (last edited Aug 28, 2012 12:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deniz Katy wrote: "
LOL, I thought Mitch already gave you the lesson."

mitch? well not to me. maybe lis got one?

edit: actually woman! what is this? an attempt to distract me from the fact that you said you should give me lessons and since then ignored my requests?!!

message 16: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy LOL, maybe I should stop reading with you. Maybe then you won't notice my reading speed. And you'll probably be reading faster if you didn't stop to yell at me about reading ahead! :P

Deniz Katy wrote: "LOL, maybe I should stop reading with you. Maybe then you won't notice my reading speed. And you'll probably be reading faster if you didn't stop to yell at me about reading ahead! :P"
ok miss meanpants i am gonna go read now.
*sniffles and skittles off*
you know how to reach me.
*sigh*

Butterfly i've read that chapter...Logan is sooo adorable "sqweee".

message 19: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Butterfly wrote: "i've read that chapter...Logan is sooo adorable "sqweee"."

I know right?!?!? Like I said, he's the whole package! Not a sappy nice guy, but not a total ass either. Sigh, I think I'm in love. ;)

Deniz Katy wrote: "I think I'm in love."

with someone other than ME?!!!!!!
>:(

message 21: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Deniz wrote: "with someone other than ME?!!!!!! >:("

Oh crap, gotta go hide... er... back to work now. ;)

Butterfly Katy wrote: "Butterfly wrote: "i've read that chapter...Logan is sooo adorable "sqweee"."

Same here :D I really dislike the commander though....

message 23: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy I also think Oliver is very adorable.

message 24: by Butterfly (last edited Aug 28, 2012 01:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Butterfly yeah but oliver is (view spoiler)

message 25: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy LOL, what do you think my status update is for? You better delete or edit that. You know we have those who are attracted to spoiler buttons, don't you?

Butterfly edited...hope someone didn't see that :p

message 27: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Butterfly wrote: "edited...hope someone didn't see that :p"

LOL! LOVE the edit.

message 28: by Butterfly (last edited Aug 28, 2012 01:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Butterfly Katy wrote: "Butterfly wrote: "edited...hope someone didn't see that :p"

LOL! LOVE the edit."

Yep, see I wrote the S word?

message 29: by Katy (last edited Aug 28, 2012 01:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Butterfly wrote: "Yep, see I wrote the S word?"

I noticed! ;)

message 30: by Butterfly (last edited Aug 28, 2012 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Butterfly Katy wrote: "Butterfly wrote: "Yep, see I wrote the S word?"

I noticed! ;)
EDIT - I can't find that conversation though. Damn people jumping all over the place. :P"

Now you can't say I don't use that word...

message 31: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Butterfly wrote: "I have no ideas were it is we had that conversation either...btw did you see the name D picked for my mascot? "

Yes, D directed me to it in the mass of 108 comments. Did you see me laugh my ass off?

Butterfly yep saw that...brynhilde? what's so funny about it I didn't understand :P

message 33: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy LOL!!! Not funny at all!!! :P But you sound like you just LOVE it. In that case, sure why not. ;)

Deniz Katy wrote: "LOL!!! Not funny at all!!! :P But you sound like you just LOVE it. In that case, sure why not. ;)"

yeah exactly its a cool name! ;P

Deniz AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

message 36: by Katy (last edited Aug 28, 2012 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy I can't find my effing phone!
EDIT - Okay, I found it. HOLY CRAP, WOMAN!

Deniz Katy wrote: "I can't find my effing phone!"

must i call it?!

Deniz Katy wrote: "I can't find my effing phone!
EDIT - Okay, I found it. HOLY CRAP, WOMAN!"

what?! stop SHOUTING bloody hell!!! you wasting precious time i could have spent READING!
just vent!

message 39: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Deniz wrote: "must i call it?!"

Deniz Katy wrote: LOL, no, I found it. And it does no good because it's on vibrate. My chime drives my coworkers crazy."

hahaha, classsic!

message 41: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy My turn. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deniz Katy wrote: "My turn. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!"

lol
let it all out! its ok ;)

Deniz ok i am also screaming now!
i knew it i knew it! still ugh, hell and damnation. nnooooooo!

message 44: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy I know right?!?!?!?!?!?!??

Deniz Katy wrote: "I know right?!?!?!?!?!?!??"

yeah, exactly.

message 46: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Deniz wrote: "yeah, exactly."

This book stirs up so much emotions from me.

Deniz Katy wrote: "Deniz wrote: "yeah, exactly."

This book stirs up so much emotions from me."

really?
*shocked face*
no, not for me ;P

Alex (Lexie) You're so fast, Katy!!!! >:(

message 49: by Katy (last edited Aug 28, 2012 07:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy LOL, M just finished too, and D is almost there. I'm finishing up my review.

Alex (Lexie) Noooooo... I'm still on Chap17. >:( I just started hours ago... How could you guys read like that?! >:( Life is so unfair.

« previous 1