Robyn's Reviews > While I Was Gone

While I Was Gone by Sue Miller

Sep 26, 12

Read from August 28 to September 10, 2012

This is a story about the various selves we are throughout our lives and how some are necessarily incongruent with others. I enjoyed reading this novel and thinking about the issues it raises. I find Sue Miller to be one of the most interesting writers of her generation and can't think of anyone else who can describe the varying forms of middle-age ennui with the insight she's capable of. I also love that she allows her middle-age female protagonists to be unconventional social beings and psychologically complex - or, incomplex, as is the case in this novel. Here, Jo, the protagonist, isn't exactly the deepest of thinkers and her lack of thoughtfulness has a number of consequences in her relationships with her husband and adult daughters. This personality characteristic or interpersonal style takes on greater significance as the drama of this novel unfolds. And, the very engrossing plot (I'll leave it at that - read the book!!) serves to highlight this major theme: We are often victims of our own cluelessness!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read While I Was Gone.